Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elendra - world map

Post Elendra - world map

Hey all

Well, this is my first attempt at using gimp. When I started I had no intentions of getting too detailed with it, just wanted something basic on the computer, so I apologize for there not being a lot to it.

Eventually I would like to make a detailed map for each of the countries within this world.

Post nice work

For an admittedly simple map, this is very nice. It's simple in an elegant way. It would be nice to see this in a larger size, but my quick thoughts are that the mountains and colors are very attractive and the general landforms seem fairly realistic--although all the straits are straining my credulity a little. If I were you, I'd drop the number of ocean colors to one or two...the seas seem a little busy given the simplicity of everything else.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good but I'd like to see a larger version. To do that, when making a post, scroll down and look for a button that says "Manage Attachments" and click that, then browse to your picture and click upload. There are some restrictions, though - not over 4.7 megabytes and not larger than 30,000 megapixels (I think) which is roughly 5000 x 6000. For safety's sake I never go over 4000 x 4000.

Welcome to The Guild
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the tips. Now that I look at it, I can see what you mean about the ocean, its a little awkward to look at. I'm thinking I should either greatly reduce or greatly increase the width of the water between the sections of land, as I think that it doesn't fit with the size of the continent. What do you think?

Praise

i dig the ocean colour... but i tend to be contrary, in a positive sort of way...

i do think the landmasses should have a bit more breathing room from each other though... i do not see how some of them could have less...

great first map!

Blog Entries

I agree with most sentiments so far. As far as I can tell (which can be a little awkward at such a resolution) your mountains look really good. And you have picked a very nice palette of colours. I'll echo Ascension's call for a larger version to look at please.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

The continents look OK to me if one thinks of it as being on a planet where individual continents are just starting to separate again after tectonics formed a supercontinent. Maybe the mountains would be distributed somewhat differently, though.
    Selden

I like what you have done with the mountains coloring as well. I would err on the side cropping the ocean down to focus more on your land mass though, if you are going to keep the water a solid blue. Just a lot of open space with nothing going on.
    "I see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw."

My thought is that your "mini Mediterranean" seems to be massively deep and steep (because of the colouring). I think if you filled that area with your "second level of coastline" blue it would drag back that section.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Hey Guys

In the (many) months since my last post I have moved house (and state!) and gotten a new job...so work has been a little slow on Ellendra (Added an L to the name btw lol)

Anyway, here is my newer version. Of course still have a lot to learn with gimp, but I think I'm doing alright. I know the map is very cartoony and not all of the layout of the land makes sense. It's quite a large landmass, made up of 4 plates. Nepra's odd formation is magical (yay! fantasy mapping!) and the coast to the east is volcanic (partly as a reaction to nepra's formation)

Anyway, just thought I would pop this up while I have access to the internet!
    Jessica

P.S.
    Edit to add a larger version. I apologize that it is not a very detailed picture, I seem to have lost some of it in translation...*sigh* not too savy with moving images and converting them yet...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellendra Current.gif 
Views:	319 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	21966
    Last edited by Alvary; 02-08-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast