Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Althere - Work In Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Doublar View Post
    Anyways, I'm just wondering what type of scenery would best fit a map like this. I started working on some mountains (Lord of the Rings style-ish), though I'm not too sure if that type would suit it. I figured I'd be careful and ask the master cartographers here than do everything completely wrong.
    Doublar, i'd be voting for a "hand drawn" effect. Partly because I'm biased, but also because a "digital photo" version might lose all of those really AWESOME little islands... those islands have the distinct look of mis-spent time and OCD...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Wow, it sure has been a while. Posting here again feels like necromancy. I guess school and other matters stopped my progress for a bit, but I'm finally getting all my priorities straight.

So I've pretty much redone the entire map on a larger scale to fit in all those details I've been longing to add. Plus I made the coasts less jagged and a bit more natural than last time. It's still pretty rough, though I did manage to get some mountains and trees (à la Tolkien) in one part of the map. I'm planning on adding all the names once I finish the map itself.

The full map I'm posting is just half the size of the actual one, so pardon the roughness of the lines. As usual, ideas and comments would be nice!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map WIP.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	29710 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Detail 9-25-10.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	29709

I like the direction you decided to take with your map. I love the hand drawn style. One easy and quick thing you could do to really make those landmasses pop is to add a coastline. I prefer the single stroked outline with waves fading into the ocean, but there are a few different styles and techniques you can use to get what you want. can't wait to see more.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I dig it so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I freakin' love those mountains; I have a heck of a time trying to come up with cool looking hand-drawn mountains and always fall back on brushes others have made. You've inspired me to take another stab at it. Repped.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very cool. I also think your going in the right direction with the "hand drawn" look
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

This makes me wanna learn and try out a hand drawn map.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

I agree with everyone else. The mountain and forest brushes looks amazing. ALTHOUGH... I don't think they fit the rest of the map, maybe it will look better if you follow Slylok's advice and add these coastlinewawes thingies..

But really, it looks good as it is too.

Man, I freaking LOVE those mountains and trees. You hand drew them? WOW!! I've thought about it, even doodled a bit, but didn't get anything so nice! I could totally use whatever it is you used to come up with those.. lol

As to everyone talkin about the coastline waves..... I actually want something like that for my map, but am TOTALLY lost as to how to do it, or where to find them..
    I used Old Guys Realistic Coastline Tutorial modified for PSPx3.
    How's It Looking? - Please provide me with your input.

Althere is looking good. Waiting to see more...

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12