Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Althere - Work In Progress

Wip Althere - Work In Progress

Hey there,

Here it is, my first map post. I actually made the map a while back, but I just recently retraced and colored it. I feel a bit stupid right now since I only found out what GIMP was when I was halfway done (I used openCanvas). I guess I'll just use it the next time then.

This map was made as a reference guide for my story (which is on hold due to my realization that my writing needs some refinement), so I plan on labeling countries and other details later on.

So far I only have the basic coasts done, and I still have to draw out all the other scenery. If you have any feedback or suggestions, they would be really appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Old.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	17853

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That is some pretty darn fine work so far. I see lots of pirate and high seas potential here

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanks! That's the look I was aiming for; sea travel is very important in this world (according to the fictional history book in my head).

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Actually, I was looking it over again (I may see about borrowing some of the island shapes at some point, those are hot) and the landmass in the southeast corner seems a tadd out of place, almost like it was tacked on at the last moment. I think it's because it doesn't have the same kind of detail as the rest - every other land area has islands around them, this seems kind of plain in comparison.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Holy Archipelago's Batman!

I think this is a good start and looking forward to seeing where you take it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Calm down boy wonder (sorry, I had too).

Seriously dude, these are the kind of landmasses i've always strived for but never got. Bravo!

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I was actually going to ask the same thing. Can't imagine how to get those interesting edges with any technique other than drawing them by hand. It's a very unique look (don't know if it's realistic or not but I dig it). Looking forward to seeing this map develop.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    I was actually going to ask the same thing. Can't imagine how to get those interesting edges with any technique other than drawing them by hand.
    M
    Some fractal planet generators will create outlines. Some patience with different seeds may result in one that's interesting.
    For example, here's an output from Mogensen's "planet" program.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outline.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	17863  
    Selden

Thanks for all the comments and feedback, it's really appreciated .

Actually, I was looking it over again (I may see about borrowing some of the island shapes at some point, those are hot) and the landmass in the southeast corner seems a tadd out of place, almost like it was tacked on at the last moment. I think it's because it doesn't have the same kind of detail as the rest - every other land area has islands around them, this seems kind of plain in comparison.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I added some other islands around it to make it fit a bit better. And you were partially right about it being tacked on at the last minute (though I won't bore you with an explanation).

Lovely continental shapes. Can you talk us through how you went about making them? It looks like a conversion to vector but I can't be sure.
    I actually drew everything by hand (on paper first, then I edited it digitally). I guess I just got lucky when it came to making the landmasses look nice. When I drew this map (several months ago), I never even knew about all the cool techniques explained on this site (which I'll definitely think of using in the future). Plus I was in school when I did this, so I translated all of my stress into some of the coastlines.

As to how I did the actual image posted, I just made a layer over my original (scanned) map, traced over the lines, then colored the picture (not much to boast about there).

Anyways, I'm just wondering what type of scenery would best fit a map like this. I started working on some mountains (Lord of the Rings style-ish), though I'm not too sure if that type would suit it. I figured I'd be careful and ask the master cartographers here than do everything completely wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast