Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Haibianr - by mearrin69

That is very very nice. I like the subdued colors and overall mood this map creates for me.
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Great job! really love the feel of it.

Blog Entries

Very pleasing style you've invented!

Nice painted map, but unrealistic.

A small town in an estuary that has to be able to be defended against invaders (you have a city wall with towers!) should AT LEAST have recognized the central Island in the estuary mouth : a FORTRESS (and governor seat) should have been built there.

On the right bank there is a HIGH PEAK. That screams for another fortification.

Real life examples ? : Havanna(Cuba) and Cartagena (Colombia).

(( read the history about the british attacks on these cities ))

Why does the left bank town have no roads inland (to the terraces?) to farmland and logging ?
    The right bank (much smaller) does have these roads..funny.

Where are the farmlands (even based on rice paddies you need more surface to feed the town) ?

Why so many jetties ?
    and no shipwright/repair yard ?

And what about waste (dumped in river/streams: discolouring ... and/or burned in open fields).

The right peak has a small little house on top ? doing what ?

Very closeby a stream starts..where does the water come from ? Snow? Gleischer?

That stream runs down very fast , but it makes a hard turn to the left.. instead of breaking through to the bigger river.
    That's unnatural.
    Last edited by oddball; 12-08-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Appreciate your comments. My backstory explains some of your concerns...might have to look in the original WIP thread for that. Looking forward to seeing your maps. With your knowledge of city design I'm sure you'll fit right in here.
    M

Wow This is the first i have seen this map and i love it

in reflection of issues that some people have with maps - remember fantasy world not real world

I write my own worlds all the time. i have many worlds on the go and they some times reflect in no way the real world if there was a Wizards tower in that map would any one say hay you would never see that there that's unrealistic?

GREAT MAP - KEEP IT UP

i may use this map in my next campaign

And consider your self reped

Thanks, Vorhees. Much appreciated. Please feel free to use this for your campaign. I'm working on some encounter maps and such for the same world. Hopefully I'll get a chance to finish the rest of these over the next couple of months.
    M

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Well I personally love this map. It can be easy to over analyse fantasy settings and find the unrealistic bits (I have agonized over the realism of my own campaign settings to no end), but there is a point where you just have to say "hey, is it really that important?"

If everything was completely realistic it wouldn't be fantasy. Would it?

Great work!

It's beautiful M.

What's the copyright on the bottom? Is that your own or is that due to it's being published somewhere? I see a lot of Creative Commons but yours is different. I'm not up on all the copyrights and if I am going to do more stuff here myself I will have to read up on the threads I guess.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hi again. Thanks guys for the comments. Really appreciate your praise, and your critiques.

@Jaxilon: The copyright is from my company. I plan to eventually publish this in a gaming supplement compatible with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game from Paizo - which may be sold, given away, or given under some sort of shareware-style license (I haven't decided yet). That said, I'm more than happy for people to take it for personal use if they like it.

Chances are that the final will be somewhat different from this one. At the very least it will have an Asian-style border. I have a lot more other stuff to get completed before that happens, however.
    M

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast