Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Haibianr - by mearrin69

While I'm at it...since you've added so many questions. Much of this information is given in my backstory but I'll repeat it here for your benefit:

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    A small town in an estuary that has to be able to be defended against invaders (you have a city wall with towers!)....
    True. There's a city wall. The terrain itself prevents most attacks, as the only way in is via the road on the east bank or by water. The water approach from the sea is defended by the several arcane towers along the coast, as mentioned in my backstory. The entire harbour, including the river approach, is guarded by fast patrol boats bearing both arcane and black powder weaponry.

... should AT LEAST have recognized the central Island in the estuary mouth : a FORTRESS (and governor seat) should have been built there.
    Um. Yeah. Well. Maybe you noticed the large walled compound on the central island of the harbor mouth? Both government seat and fortress....well, and, plus it's got three big honkin arcane-fire-spitting towers on its seaward shore. It's well defended, don't worry. Again, this is in the backstory.

On the right bank there is a HIGH PEAK. That screams for another fortification.
    No need. The city is well defended against land-based invaders due to the largely impassable terrain. Covered in the backstory, I think.

(( read the history about the british attacks on these cities ))
    You have piqued my interest. I will look them up. I'm pretty sure they didn't have arcane-fire-spitting towers or fast patrol boats with arcane and black powder weaponry, though. The Brits would have been hard-pressed if they had.

Why does the left bank town have no roads inland (to the terraces?) to farmland and logging ? The right bank (much smaller) does have these roads..funny.
    ? There actually is a road going back to the terraces on the left bank, unless you've got your left and right confused. I decided not to put a defined road on the right bank...and, in fact, probably made the one on the left too defined. There isn't any logging in the vicinity anymore...it's easier to send it down the river.

Where are the farmlands (even based on rice paddies you need more surface to feed the town) ?
    Most of the food comes from upriver. Also, seafood makes up a large portion of the diet. Not sure if I put that in the backstory or not.

Why so many jetties ?
    Because there are a lot of boats? Didn't think I needed that in the backstory.

and no shipwright/repair yard ?
    There are a couple, actually. They're not noted as such on the map. Maybe I haven't drawn them well enough for recognition...I'm not sure how such a place should look. Will check into it and consider modifying the final.

And what about waste (dumped in river/streams: discolouring ... and/or burned in open fields).
    Very good point. In fact, the polluted harbor is a main descriptive feature of the city (see backstory/flavor text)...but I didn't want to go there visually. The water did end up looking rather pristine. Maybe I'll brown it up a little.

The right peak has a small little house on top ? doing what ?
    Again. It's in the backstory. I won't go into details here but, if you're interested, you can go check it out. It's called the Temple of Heaven. The larger, walled building is called the House of the Four Winds.

Very closeby a stream starts..where does the water come from ? Snow? Gleischer?
    Got me there. Hadn't put much thought into it. Who can say?

That stream runs down very fast , but it makes a hard turn to the left.. instead of breaking through to the bigger river.
    That's unnatural.
    The River Police can correct me here if I'm wrong but streams follow the contours of the land...and don't just go "breaking through" wherever they like if there's an easier path downhill. The streams on the map follow the contours of the land I designed before I drew them...I just put them into the place I figured water would naturally collect and flow. Again, I submit to the mercies of the River Police on this one, as I am not an expert on the subject.

Hope that answers all of your questions. Appreciate you taking the time to analyze the map!
    M

Very thorough! You've certainly answered any questions I might have had and then some.

Great map!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

This is a very lovely port city, and the workmanship on it is masterful. What is the estimated population of such a large town?

Thanks very much. Now, see, that's a very good question I honestly didn't put a great deal of thought into the actual population of the city. I envisioned it as a very large (by "medieval" standards) city probably in the mid-tens of thousands but not reaching a hundred thousand. There would be a largish transient population in the city as well, primarily merchant caravans from the surrounding areas as well as foreigners conducting trade. I still have not put an actual number on it though...probably afraid to commit to it. I've got to do it soon, however, so I'll post here when I figure out a number I can get behind.
    M

Guild Novice

Great job. Excellent detail.

Thank you very much! I hadn't seen this thread in quite a while...it was nice to reread it and "re-appreciate" the comments.
    M

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123