Thread: My First Post

Map My First Post

Hi All,

I have been making maps for as long as I could draw: maps to remember where I hid my treasures, maps to plan troop movements during games of war. You get the idea.

I stumbled onto your site from the Makezine blog. and the artistry inspired to make a map.

For location, I chose my childhood home in the corn fields of Indiana. The map is mostly done. I only need to add some more labels to show locations of different adventures of my adolescence.

I pulled some screenshots from Google maps and pasted them into Photoshop. Then I started drawing in the houses and roads. The trees, and fields are courtesy of StarRaven's great brushes.

For your consideration, my first map not made with pencils and crayons. I appreciate your feedback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4027973770_80c3ffe3ae_b.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	756.7 KB 
ID:	17876  

Hmm, just a suggestion, I would fade the red border just a little bit so it doenst draw so much attention away from the map itself.
    Eabrek23

-"All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us."-
    -J.R.R. Tolkien-

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That's a brilliant idea. I love it!

Maybe i should do a map of all the places I've ever lived (60+)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

That is such a cool concept. Nice work. I can imagine it in the front of a Stephen King book about a group of boys coming of age. My only sadness was that I couldn't zoom in to see the details. Welcome to the forums.
    M

[edit]Oh, yeah, repped!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I've been looking it over again and I have to say the more I look, the more i like.

I can see how the red might be a bit whelming to some, but honestly to me, the colour combination gives off a kind of feeling of limitless energy - something I miss having from my 12-year-old days

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

that's brilliant, what did you use to make it?