View Poll Results: Create a regional map of destroyed lands...

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah! Bring on the devastation!

27 96.43%
  • Nope, leave my world in peace.

1 3.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [taken]The Destroyed Lands map

Post [taken]The Destroyed Lands map

The Destroyed Lands map - create a regional map depicting a civilization destroying cataclysm of epic proportions, a sort of post apocalyptic map, with the major feature showing the remnants of the great cataclysm.

Decide on a type of destruction that can be depicted on a map, something that complete alters the landscape from what it was before. It could be the crater left by a comet strike, a new coastline after an earthquake dropped California into the Pacific, the fast rise of a great volatile volcano in the middle of a city, or arcane destruction (1 M HD Fireball, anyone?), anything else you can come up with.

Of course, you can also depict survivalist camps or whatever else you want, the main goal is to show a world in its aftermath of destruction.

Fantasy, modern, futuristic doesn't matter, show me a map of destroyed lands, that's what I'd like to see!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

oooooooh

It's like another heavier version of the passage of time map, where the focus is on "after"

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I like it...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice idea...and I even have practice from my before and after volcano map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I suspect the entries will be art-heavy and map-scarce.

It could be fun, though I doubt I'll have the time to enter as I'm trying to maintain my focus on my main world project. Still . . . If I need to take a break, and it might help with some of the aspects of my world map . . .

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

If I put in a wholly blue map and claim that an asteroid made all the ice-caps melt; will that do ._.?
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    If I put in a wholly blue map and claim that an asteroid made all the ice-caps melt; will that do ._.?
    Yes.
    Will it be a winning entry? Probably not
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Post I'd say no, but...

I'd say no, but if you were creating some kind of "Water World", I'd expect islands and even better, structures sticking out of the water with new shorelines beyond that. Not that a world couldn't be completely covered in water following a catastrophe, but then the point of the challenge idea is to show evidence of great change. A plain blue map of water only shows water, not the change. Another possibility is to have an underwater map showing city ruins and such surrounding tiny island (former mountain top), etc.

You'd need more than a blue map to show evidence of destruction.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the idea as well. I love creating but I've never really explored the dark side of destroying. Sounds interesting.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast