Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Citymap Daboha

Hi, I created the texture using just some cobblestone picture from the web (can't remember where I got it from but there's plenty royalty free stuff around). I played around with the color and saturation balance to enhance the 'groves' while removing detail. I then made 2 patterns from it, one about twice the size of the other. I first fill with the big sized one and then go over it with the little one with about 50% opacity (also 'washing away' the not-so-seamless edges

Repped. Wow. I thought the first post image was awesome (and possibly finished)...but the closeup showing cobblestones and trees is just incredible. I'm looking forward to seeing this thing done. Nice work!
    M

Guild Apprentice

now that's neat! Really good looking. Although I don't know why some parts of the city have no bridges/other connection to other parts (stand-alone islands?)

Map

Hi fellow-mappers, Spiritless, the map was still in progress so the bridges had to be added still, but they're in now

I think I'm gonne stick with this 'final' version although the color balance is not yet 100%, I cant seem to get it right yet. Some more 'special/different' buildings would make it more interesting as well I think. And of course legend/labels should have been added.

Anyway, thanks all for the nice feedback, that really helped me finish this quick. Must say I learned a lot on this first city mapping project

cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daboha.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	4.64 MB 
ID:	17933  

Guild Apprentice

oh man
    now it looks simply great

Have some rep, it turned into a beautiful map. The farmland to the northwest looks great.

Something about the layout of the city is nagging at me at the moment. Somehow the city looks more like a collection of houses than a large city, structured into blocks. There's no real order to this city, although that might be the effect you were going for
    It could also be that it's because most of the houses have the same size. I am missing larger, special buildings. Think warehouses, mills, religious places, arenas, etc.

But as I said before, it's beautiful nonetheless. Great textures.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This turned out quite nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Wonderful. I really like the palette and the farmland top right.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Hi all, thanks again for the nice comments and feedback. And esp. Gandwarf thanks for the comments as I also thought something was wrong. I couldnt put my finger to it but your comments really hit the spot I think. I tried adding more special buildings and 'blend' the houses more in the layout/streets. It's a little better now but next time i guess i need some more cityplanning before just drawing in the buildings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daboha2.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	4.63 MB 
ID:	18027  

Pefect!!! But you should use a greater variety of colors for the buildings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast