Thread: Greetings

Post Greetings

Greetings people,

I'm new here and am interested in trying my hand at cartography. I was wondering if anyone could impart some wisdom of theirs upon me. I am pretty good with Photoshop and have a decent understanding of graphic design. I'm looking to expand my skills into the art of map making.

I am very interested in Christopher West's style of cartography and would like some insight on his methods and technique. He doesn't have any tutorials up on his site yet, so I've had to resort to studying the maps he's done in attempt at deciphering his process. Some things are clear, yet many are still difficult to figure out.

Anyway, I'm hoping this site will give me access to a wealth of information so that I may one day be able to create professional quality maps.

*Stares blankly at the Christopher West comment and wonders if they were ever in the cast of Batman...*

[Voice = Radio Advertising]
    For all your Cartographer's Guild Advice on doing shiney things map-related... we recommend the Tutorials Section... full of random stuff, mostly useful stuff and the GIMP-God RobA's various bits and pieces (feel free to blow sunshine up his butt)... there is a wide variety on offer for the experienced and new alike...
    [/Voice]

[Voice = Airline Attendant]
    Welcome into the Guild. In the event of a crash, the exit is located and marked by the Red X on your screen. Thankyou for Flying Guild Airlines.
    [/Voice]

**Note: Yes I am that random in real life**
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I had to Google his name but from his website it looks like his maps are most reminiscent of a hybrid between the Pasis style for Photoshop (terrain) and Campaign Cartographer 3 software (buildings) but with a clear yet almost cartoony feel. Certainly his own unique style, which is pretty cool, but these are the two similar styles that came to mind as we have many examples of those here at The Guild. Welcome aboard.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the guild!

Professional Artist Christopher West's Avatar

Hey, Leviathan! I'm honored by your interest in my work; let me know if you have any specific questions, and I'll try to answer them. There are a few techniques that I like to keep to myself, but i'm generally pretty communicative.

I've never used Campaign Cartographer, by the way; I use Photoshop almost exclusively.

Oh, and Juggernaught: I have no known relation to Adam West, of Batman fame. Which is good, because I wouldn't look good at all in the tight-fitting costume...