Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnomic Vault

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Gnomic Vault

Its not finished, but almost done actually, something I was whipping up tonight. I saw Coyotemax's tea-stained parchment and downloaded the map folded one. I was going to experiment by creating a map using only that texture for all my objects, but then I added some tints to give it more variety.

This is completely an experiment.

What is a Gnomic Vault - long ago, I invented a race of gnomes who more nefarious than traditional gnomes. Their religion, culture, military, education and affiliation are deeply rooted in a racial thieves' guild. Their bible is called the Gnomicon, and their guild is called the Gnomic Syndicate. As a race, their ultimate goal is the complete feduciary domination of all sentient beings - they want to own everything, and trade them as commidities, including sentient races. They deal heavily in weapons and pleasure slave trade.

Whenever a member travels abroad (and they are want to do this) if approved by the Syndicate to do so, are given an 18" x 24" x 3" iron box with 3 locks and protected by divine magic. Once unlocked and opened, the owner and any he invites (though that's a rare thing) can step into the box and are immediately teleported to an extra-dimensional Temple and Vault.

Because Syndicate members are thieves, accountants, lawyers and business men, they are reviled by most other races eventually, as they are prone to cheat, larceny, forgery and all means possible to drain the local wealth, where ever they are. Licensed Syndicate members each possess such a box which serves as their temple which is also the vault where they place their acquired treasure and gold until they return to Gnomic capital and pay their required holy taxes.

This is a map of one particular Gnomic Vault.

Still need to add more "stuff", furniture in those other rooms, which will be: a library, an accounting office, a weapons locker, and a private room for rest and relaxation.

Another day and it will be finished!

Oh, yeah, and thanks, Coyotemax for the use of your cool new parchment!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gnomic-vault.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	17906  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Nice!! I love the colour palette on this one, it's very easy on the eyes, it's a joy to look at.

Glad to see the textures in use already, I hadn't expected this quick

Incidentally, I'm working on some bump/displacement map versions now that the paper is dried out and the crumples and folds are really defining themselves. I'll post an update in the other thread when i get them all scanned in

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Post Strange way to use it, I know.

Strange way to use your parchment texture, I know. I thought of use it the traditional way, then I created the walls and it looked kind of cool, so I ran with it. I wanted to try and make the paving stones like I did on Sato's Alley map. Even the green knot on the floor is your texture with a green tint applied, same is true for those bookcase/shelves.

I plan to place some statuary, and objects d' art to serve as showcased treasures placed on those four pedestals. The square pedestal will hold the Vault holder's Gnomicon bible. Precious treasures are kept in those four corner vaults.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff here GP...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice, and a cool use of the texture. Looks very gnomish. BUT, for some reason those runes don't sell as gnomlish runes IMO. Not sure what would do it though. Something needlessly complex (say, Chinese...lol) might do the trick. Some of the fonts for Dune are around the net somewhere and might be interesting. Or, given the subject, maybe Ferengi letters?
    M

[edit]Eh, no. Ferengi is awful. Romulan is kind of cool, though: http://www.starfleet.4mg.com/fonts/
    Cardassian's not bad either. Vulcan's good but pretty well known as sci-fi.
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-21-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Vulcan's good but pretty well known as sci-fi.
    Vulcan's are Space Elves

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Slight update...

Thanks for the comments!

Next update, only a slight one. I tweaked the color in the Celtic Knot, somehow I had not matched the colors one of the diagonals, so I fixed that - also the tiny one on the portal dias.

@Ravs - I fixed "fiduciary"

@Mearrin69 - you've got a point, the runic script looks too dwarven. I looked at the various Federation fonts, and thought it might be better if I made one up myself, so that's what I did. I took the word separation "dot" convention from the runic script and applied a diamond for the Gnomic script. I think the different letters seem congruous with one another. Not too sure it looks "Gnomic" or not...

I'll get to furnishing the place tomorrow.

Thoughts?

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gnomic-vault.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	413.2 KB 
ID:	17944  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-22-2009 at 04:41 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

I think the 'gnomic' lettering looks good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast