Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction and first maps

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post
    This is a new map showing the general lines of the major faults in the world. the red lines mark the faults. I have put an arrow showing the general drift of the plates. In general everything is drifting away from a central range of mountains that mark the spine of the world. I have placed in a blue line where the deepest ocean trenches would be, and in a brown line (which is hard to see) where some undersea mountain ridges would be.

I am not sure that the trenches are in the right location though. I don't know exactly which side of the fault that a trench would form on.
    What RPMiller said! Also when two plates are sliding past each other, you have a fault zone (earthquakes and the like) but tend not to get mountains or canyons forming.

A good (but somewhat simple explanation) is here: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/geology/tecmech.html

In most current theories (afaik) a planet will start up with one big "land mass"/"hight spot" as it cools, near the equator, due to centripetal force and tidal actions of the sun/moons. This one mass will start to fracture into various plates due to convection currents in the aesthenosphere, pumped by radioactive decay.

I am not sure how you came up with your continent layout, but it could be tricky to apply a techtonic model to something not started with one. I am not sure if any of the "world building" softwares support a plate tectonic model, as the (free/demo) ones I have played with tend to use things like ridged multifractals, plasma models or the like.

-Rob A>

So, actually, what I kind of need is everything slowly drifting in towards the center, with the outer plates moving at a slightly faster speed. The outer plates would push down creating a trench on the outer side of the fault, and mountains on the inner side as the other plate is forced up.

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post
    So, actually, what I kind of need is everything slowly drifting in towards the center, with the outer plates moving at a slightly faster speed. The outer plates would push down creating a trench on the outer side of the fault, and mountains on the inner side as the other plate is forced up.
    yeah - kind of like a "when plates collide thing".

Actually, I did a bit of googleing, and realized the wikipedia entry is pretty good too- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_tectonics

It shows clearly that you can have more than one "land mass" per plate. For example, earth's "North America plate" contains North America, Iceland, and a good chunk of Siberia.

Also, remember this process cycles endlessly, so a seemingly inexplicable mountain range (old and worn, that is) can always be blamed on a previous plate collision/fusing, suck as our earth's Ural mountains.

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12