Thread: Greetings

Post Greetings

I am more of a hobbiest game programmer than anything else and not a really much of artist but I do all the artwork for my games and have been doing it long enough to learn a few tricks. I have a few basic tutorials on my website for creating art assets for games some of which may be applicable for maps.

Just recently I have developed an interest in designing a board game. I have played Arkham Horror a few times and like the setting but not the game itself. I have set out to design my own 1920's Lovecraftian themed RPG board game and am coming along well with the rules and am now in the processes of drawing the main board which I want to look like a historic town map. Doing a bit of research led me here and I joined up immediately. I look forward to mining the wealth of knowledge that you guys have accumulated as well as contributing what I can.

-Shannon

Welcome fellow gamer! w00t.

My own gaming career has gone through a few kinks in the road, everything from CCG to hexmap-counter to classic DnD to online freeform pbp/pbem.

Thanks for linking your site. I hope I can explore it soon.

Welcome aboard pal!!!

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

Hi Shannon,

Although I'm a CoC RPG fan (well 20 years ago) and board gamer I shied away from getting Arkham horror because the reviews of it were not great. The alternative, which is pretty fun (although the mechanics are a little flawed) is a game called 'The House on Haunted Hill'. Great fun if there are a group of you and you've all had a few beers and want a laugh.

I think a Lovecraft themed boardgame (which is enjoyable and captures the spirit of the books - well, not the long, turgid and overly descriptive bits) is a great idea and I wish you well in your project. There are some people here who have done some superb 'haunted house' type maps - although I don't know if anyone has done any city maps in a 30s style. Shouldn't be too hard though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

welcome!
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Although I'm a CoC RPG fan (well 20 years ago) and board gamer I shied away from getting Arkham horror because the reviews of it were not great.
    It isn't a great game, the theme is all it has going for it. The gameplay is way to phased, overly complex and has no emphasis whatsoever on cooperation.

The alternative, which is pretty fun (although the mechanics are a little flawed) is a game called 'The House on Haunted Hill'. Great fun if there are a group of you and you've all had a few beers and want a laugh.
    I might have to check that one out, thanks.

What I am going for is more of a traditional looking board game with a strong theme that has elements of RPG. I am aiming for:
    * Under 2-hr games.
    * Strong emphasis on cooperation.
    * No Keeper/DM required
    * Reasonable focus on storyline.

I have an idea on the storytelling aspect involving small single-use card decks and it in some way resembles those old pick-a-path novels.

There are some people here who have done some superb 'haunted house' type maps - although I don't know if anyone has done any city maps in a 30s style. Shouldn't be too hard though.
    I'll have a look, lots to get through.

This will actually be my second attempt at a board game, here is mock-up I did of a pirate-themed game I did a while back:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pirate_1.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	18089  
    Last edited by GameSmith; 10-26-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Switched to cg hosted image.

* Under 2-hr games.
    * Strong emphasis on cooperation.
    * No Keeper/DM required
    * Reasonable focus on storyline.

If those are the elements you're looking for in your game, House on Haunted Hill will be pretty much up your alley. It's about 2 hours (usually less) per game, cooperative (until one player becomes the bad guy part way through the game). It comes with pre-genrated plot-lines but you can easily make your own up. No DM - but the storyline is pretty tenuous unless you weave it into your plotline.

If those are the elements you're looking for in your game, House on Haunted Hill will be pretty much up your alley
    I assume your talking about Betrayal at House on Hill. I can't find any reference to a House on Haunted Hill board game. Unfortunately it is out of print but you can find it in a few places. I don't quite like the style of it (a little bit comic for my taste) and I want a bit more in-depth and integrated story and apparently it also has a few balance issues. I might order a copy anyway as it still sounds like it could be fun to play.