Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: println("hello world"\n) hehe

Post We do our best to control that...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaelyn View Post
    This place has too many friendly and helpful people to be an internet forum. Its freakin me out

Where are the trolls... the flamewars? Its just odd. LOL
    We have lurkers, and though we appreciate anyone looking at, downloading and using our content (only CC licensed content), we prefer participants, though lurking is not a terrible issue with any of us.

We've had one thread that was temporarily closed because a heated debate crossed over into throwing insults, and that was a new poster and the problem was "nipped in the bud". That thread is now open again, and the problem alleviated. However, that is the only instance of something close to a flamewar, ever in the history of the Guild.

Its the initiative of our grand administrator (Arcana) and the dutiful CLs to keep the forums as friendly as possible. In the way initial responses are made, in the way these introduction threads are welcomed with open arms, in the way that we try to help even those that ask questions that fall outside of cartography issues. We, the members, have found that following in their footsteps is actually addictive in being a more friendly environment, from the senior members to the noobs. By treating each other with respect, the Cartographers' Guild is an island of hope within a sea of trolls on most other forums.

I try to keep my posts friendly on other forums (EnWorld, etc.) but with their rampant trolling, flamewars, and edition wars its not always so easy.

I'm glad to be a longstanding member of this guild, and I'm here more than at any other online community, largely because of the friendly atmosphere, aside from the topic of mapping, of course.

So, don't be freaked out about our community, be freaked out that other communities do not have the presence of mind to be respectful to each other.

And belatedly, "Welcome to the Guild! I hope you have as wonderful a time as we do in our great community!"

GP

PS: and "no, we are not the Stepford Cartographers" - we are friendly with free will!
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-25-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it has to do with the quality that we put out and that others can learn how to do similar quality with only minimal skills and practice...and the fact that we're all super cool dudes and dudettes and not a bunch of teenagers trying to look cool. Welcome and have fun.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Bahahaha, true. It looks like we're all adults here, or at least mature. I honestly haven't seen anyplace so welcoming and full of talent since the BBS days. I think I'm going to become a permanent fixture here.

I have noticed a lot of lurking while observing who is online and what they're doing, and less than 0.5% of views seem to generate a reply on most of the threads I've looked at. Meh, as long as they learn something I guess... I however, prefer to contribute whenever possible and actively learn from my public mistakes, as I believe that the only limitation to human advancement is the willingness to admit to and display one's faults and ask questions. Someone who can't tie their shoes without assistance might be a much better cartographer than me, but if I don't ask, how would I know?
    Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
    Willing is not enough; we must do.
    -Johann von Goethe

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I don't know. I try to give feedback as much as possible, but sometimes I'm just at a loss for anything meaningful to add to the discussion. When that happens, I move on without posting. Some of the lurking may have more to do with that and less to do with not being willing to ask questions.

Could be. Sometimes I don't feel like I'm qualified to say anything, being the noob here, but I will still call someone out on a ridiculous river
    Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
    Willing is not enough; we must do.
    -Johann von Goethe

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12