Thread: how do you make your compass ?

Question how do you make your compass ?

I hope that the issue has not been asked, if not I apologize.

All your compasses are very pretty (those provided in the libraries of symbols CC3 are not beautiful)

So I guess you do them yourself.

But how??
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There are any number of ways to 'make compass rose's, as they can be either as complex and ornate or simple as you desire.

There are plenty of free clipart images, symbol sets, fonts (CC3, Dundjinni), etc. Or you can go and create your own by combining various graphic pieces or designing it from scratch in a graphics program.

It all comes down to how much work/effort you want to put into it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

My question was not specific enough. I think I have enough ideas and inspiration to create a compass by drawing on paper.
    In fact, I was wondering on what software you can make an image of a compass?
    Should generate a PNG file in order to import it in CC3?
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Make it in anything you use to draw, paint, or collage images. If you want to go with bitmap format you can use software ranging from Paint (comes with Windows) and GIMP (free download) to Paint Shop Pro (cheap) to Photoshop (not so cheap). Or, you can do it in vector format with something like Inkscape or Illustrator). That said, I'm not entirely sure that the least expensive of these will export PNG format but I imagine there are free tools out there that will do the conversion for you.

There are other ways as well: for instance, you could model and render the rose in some 3D software. There's some free stuff out there - some older versions are given in the DVDs that come with some magazines - or you can pay a lot of money for something fancier.

Hope that helps - and that I haven't said anything too obvious.
    M

I would recommend making graphic elements like a compass in a vector application. Assuming you are on a budget, I would suggest Inkscape.

A vector application give you much more flexibility when working on ideas.

You can bring the results into a raster program (at the size you want) for any additional embellishments.

-Rob A>