Thread: Map of Quon Tali

Map Map of Quon Tali

My first finished map! It's an attempt at the continent of Quon Tali from Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. I started with the continental outline, building it up in Photoshop - notably, a great deal of "Rising Up the Mountains" was used (thanks!) -, in an attempt to replicate the mentioned geographical features. I'm not sure whether it's entirely accurate - some things are certainly wrong -, but here's my best go:

All comments appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewAttempt2Merged34.jpg 
Views:	2034 
Size:	458.5 KB 
ID:	18020  
    Last edited by Edielin; 10-24-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Congrats on your first finished map, have some rep

On your next go, you may want to make your image size bigger ... I really wanted to zoom in on this and couldn't.

Nice map.
    Especially the mountains.
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks pretty good.

I have a map here of the area around Black Coral, and have considered doing some others.

Hmm... I think I may even redo it as I have some better techniques to try now.
    Last edited by Steel General; 10-25-2009 at 07:40 AM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Excellent map.

As I said on Malazanempire I think it could be improved by the addition of the offshore islands, such as Malaz, Kartool, the Napans, the Falari Isles and so on, as they are closely associated with Quon Tali. Also, I can understand if you don't want to go mad filling in all of the minor towns and villages from the maps in the books, but adding in the places important in the books like Itko Kan, where the whole saga begins, could be a good idea. Also, the northern-most city is called 'Falair' rather than 'Falar' (although that might be a spelling error on the maps, now I think about it).

If you are planning to do Genabackis, it's worth remembering that it's the map in Memories of Ice which is accurate. The one in Gardens of the Moon has a few errors, such as putting Tulips on the wrong side of the continent

Very nice map, and a nice smallish campaign area.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    If you are planning to do Genabackis, it's worth remembering that it's the map in Memories of Ice which is accurate. The one in Gardens of the Moon has a few errors, such as putting Tulips on the wrong side of the continent
    That's good to know.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.