Thread: [Award Winner] Quick-and-Dirty Buildings for a Town Map in PS

Guild Novice

Default [Award Winner] Quick-and-Dirty Buildings for a Town Map in PS

I wanted to have a map ready for a game last week, and hadn't drawn in the buildings (mostly because it sounded kind of grueling). Instead, I whipped up a quick process that ended up looking real nice.

The image series is attached, and I'll describe each step here. I worked at 2400 px by 3000 px.

1. Work out your geography and draw some roads on a separate layer. Plenty of better mappers than me have tutorials on doing that part, so I'll skip the details on it.

2. Select your roads layer (CTRL + Click the layer image. Invert your selection (CTRL + I). Contract your selection by about 20 px. Anywhere you've got a dotted line will be like a thread through the middle of your buildings, so deselect anywhere you don't want.

3. Convert your selection to a Path. In the Path window at the bottom-right, there's a button for it.

4. Now you'll need a building-shaped brush. I used a 40 px square brush with the following settings (all the Controls are set to "off" with one noted exception):
    • Spacing: 200%
    • Size Jitter: 50%
    • Min. Size: 50%
    • Angle Jitter: 1% (Control: Direction)
    • Roundness Jitter: 25%
    • Scatter: 100%
    • Count Jitter: 100%

5. Select the roads layer again and expand the selection by 6 px, then Invert. Make a new layer, and stroke the path. I usually do two or three strokes, and you can experiment with using different brush shapes, sizes or settings.

6. Clean up any stray marks. You can leave it flat for a quick black-and-white map suitable for a game, or use some layer effects to prettify things.

7. As a final step, you can select your buildings layer and create more layers to add depth to the roofs. Just repeat the path-stroking step on new layers and change the layer effects. I added second stories and peaked roofs in the example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apala-tutorial-1.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	273.8 KB 
ID:	21236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apala-tutorial-2.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	307.7 KB 
ID:	21237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apala-tutorial-3.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	316.4 KB 
ID:	21238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apala-tutorial-4.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	21239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apala-tutorial-5.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	299.0 KB 
ID:	21240  

Guild Novice

Images for the last two steps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apala-tutorial-6.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	304.6 KB 
ID:	21241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apala-tutorial-7.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	311.8 KB 
ID:	21242  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like you're definitely on to something there.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Exactly how I do mine in my city tut but with a different brush. This process looks like it might be the easiest and fastest way to do buildings and it can be adapted and changed a bit as well with what brush is used. Since great minds think alike I'll say very nice job
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

I figured someone was bound to have thought of it first.

What I like is you can use this technique and refine the buildings for a really nice map, or just slap them down and print for game day. You can also add extraneous buildings by just drawing a few stray path lines manually.

Which brush do you use, by the way?
    Last edited by Talmariel; 01-20-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I use a custom rectangle brush and a thatching brush for making thatch roofs. You can find those in the Elements section where I keep my brushes. And yeah the technique is easy...just push a button. Can't get easier than that.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I missed this tut when it was posted. Very useful and elegant technique! Repped and rated.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

This looks like it would be quite useful in doing quick maps. I'm wondering, as a GIMP user (and a complete newbie to cartography) if anyone else who uses the GIMP has done something similar to this or has adapted this tutorial for us in the GIMP? If so that would be quite the useful tool. I've attempted to apply your technique to a map I'm currently working on for my online game, but there seems to be more fine-grained brush control available in PS than in the GIMP (at least as far as I can tell) with things like jitter, directional stroke and spacing/such...either that or I'm missing something. Any help with this would be much appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to put up this tutorial.

Tal

The soon to be release 2.8 will provide similar control pf jitter, angle following, random sizing, etc.

In the mean time, you can make your own image hoses using my rotating brush script (see sig) that could produce similar results.

-Rob A>