Thread: WIP Regional Map - 1st attempt

Wip WIP Regional Map - 1st attempt

As a brand new member of the Guild, I thought I could best contribute by illustrating my workflow and showing others how much they don't suck. I've decided to sheepishly chronicle my progress on my very first attempt at a digitally drawn map in Photoshop. This is the region of Daegmyr for a fantasy adventure in development which will be used to teach my wife what gaming is all about. After a quick off-the-cuff adventure with nothing but crappy sketches on note paper, she seems to be addicted already. :) The virus spreads....

Constructive criticism is anticipated :p Go easy on me though, I've never done this before. I like my mountain technique though, which I will detail in a tutorial if I get any positive feedback. I just made it up as I went along hehehe. The ones on the small southern island came out best I think [see full size] and I might redo the others similarly.

Included is the original concept ink, ink and paint, and the current digital development stage, which is far from final. I'm considering importing hand drawn elements for the symbols and compass rose, maybe handwriting too. It doesn't look the same drawn with the Wacom and the digital versions are too digital looking I think. meh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daegmyr-Concept-Ink.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	18034

Name:	Daegmyr-Concept-Paint.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	339.7 KB 
ID:	18035

Name:	Daegmyr-Stage-5.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	18036

Wip Progress Update

I've begun adding symbols scanned in from the concept sketch, I snarfed a CC compass rose brush from a guild member named RPGMapMaker

I added in known routes from different locations and some missing towns, the skull and bones and the krakken. Rivers are next, I screwed up and didn't carve them into the terrain initially so that will be fun... I may still redo the mountains, I dunno. Right now it looks like a relief more than an illustration I think. Anyone have ideas? I may just throw some names on it for now and print it for use tomorrow and finish it later. I need to do some quick and dirty town mapping and finish some NPC knowledge databases and its 4:30 am already...

Any ideas on better mountains for this map style? Any other suggestions? I know some elements dont blend perfectly just yet, still working on that.

Name:	Daegmyr-Stage-6.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	18037
    Last edited by Jaelyn; 10-25-2009 at 06:37 AM.

Wip Stage 7

0515 hrs... still working... addicted...

names slapped on, title added, need scale and rivers, maybe more terrain texture once i figure out a good technique for mountains and such.

good enough. brain numb. aliens eating my insides. big brother watching, not helping. run.

RUN

Name:	Daegmyr-Stage-7.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	18039

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'd say looks pretty good so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks good! Have some rep for encouragement.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

LOL thanks Its not caffeine but it'll help. Yay, 10 points, now I can rep people who rock and it'll count for something at least. hehe

You earned those points. I like the handdrawn style. The squid thingy alone is at least 5 rep points
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

ROFL!! I'm glad you like it I figured a laughable hand drawing was better than an overly perfect digital drawing. The Krakken is there to scare the new player into not sailing out of the currently completed universe mostly hehe. I'd be scared if something that ugly was even rumored to exist LOL