Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xara Xtreme Map-Making

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I bet more than anythign his mountain problem is related to entity order...and isn't there a reordering tool specificaly for reordering mountains from top left to bottom right or something?

I'm still a CC3 user, though a lot of the amazing work I've seen done in graphics apps here is turning me otherwise. I don't believe in touting one program over another really though because its all a matter of what you're comfortable with. I spend a lot of time over at the CGTalk forums, and I've learned that software choice is NOT a factor in artist capability.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Yes, there sure is. Unfortunately the command is escaping me right now. I think it is symorder?? I'm at work so can't check to be sure.

I don't ever use it as I tend to always place symbols in the correct order to begin with.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post Best is what works best for you.

I've already said it, but "The best software, is whichever you are most comfortable with."

I met a pro designer once in 1996, he used a Mac, though not a power mac, he only had 16 MB RAM, and used a 3 year old version of PS. This guy was creating professional covers for People Magazine and others.

Its not what you've got, its what you can do with it, that counts.

Masterful artwork is created by masterful artists, not software. Software is just a tool - your brain and imagination is what makes for wonderful maps!

True some software is easier, more powerful or more feature rich - tools help artists work, but in the end only the artist matters.

Post I guess I should have posted in finished map forum

I guess this thread has turned into a discussion on comparative mapping software.

In the begginning, I was just trying to show you what I use, and what I create.

So what do you think of the terrain maps in my link? True they are not exciting places like dungeons and castles, rather its just generic natural terrain - a GMs aid, more than a feature map, but...

Any comments on the work?

Blog Entries

Praise

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I've already said it, but "The best software, is whichever you are most comfortable with."

I met a pro designer once in 1996, he used a Mac, though not a power mac, he only had 16 MB RAM, and used a 3 year old version of PS. This guy was creating professional covers for People Magazine and others.

Its not what you've got, its what you can do with it, that counts.

Masterful artwork is created by masterful artists, not software. Software is just a tool - your brain and imagination is what makes for wonderful maps!

True some software is easier, more powerful or more feature rich - tools help artists work, but in the end only the artist matters.
    Winning post right here.

Blog Entries

I guess this thread has turned into a discussion on comparative mapping software.

In the begginning, I was just trying to show you what I use, and what I create.

So what do you think of the terrain maps in my link? True they are not exciting places like dungeons and castles, rather its just generic natural terrain - a GMs aid, more than a feature map, but...

Any comments on the work?
    Ahh...good point, lets get back on topic...here ends the software discussion in this thread...

Your maps...I like the concept, and they look good, and I bet they look even better printed largely...My only complaint is they seem to be lacking some depth...I think that comes from the lack of or inconsistency of shadowing from vegetation. Its mainly the vegetation thats unsettling to me at first glance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not declaring the maps as failures or even as unsuccessful, quite the contrary, they're great! I hope I'm not coming off as seeing the maps negatively.

As for your concept, reuseable tileable printed game board pieces...awesome, thats good stuff, and with the rise in miniature battles and miniature gaming, they certainly have a place!

Post There is an issue with shadows, but...

When I posted these sample maps I've created using Xara.

What I didn't say, were these map sets 8 double sided 11 x 17 maps have geomorphic edges. The trees at top and bottom edge of map are the opposite halves of each other, same on the left and right edge.

The purpose of the maps sets is to create an "endless" variety of terrain layouts, but the graphics all match no matter how you place them. Of course 11 inch sides must match (you can't place an 11" side against a 17" side), but you rotate any map 180 degrees, or flip upside down - a new terrain is created and the edges still match.

Had I used a 4 pm shadow, to enhance the 3D effect, if a map lined up was rotated 180 degrees, its 4 pm shadow would point a different way.

I didn't use actual 3D shadows, instead, kind of a high noon, halo shadow to imply shadow, but unrealistically casting a larger shadow than the plant casting it.

Its a work-around for the map placement issue for the product to work.

I call them Endless Terrain Battlemaps.

Anyway, I didn't mention this before, as I'm not trying to "sell" anyone my maps, just showing examples.

Good eye for noticing that aspect of these maps!

Tutorial A couple Xara Xtreme Tutorials I created...

Here's several Xara Xtreme Map-Making Tutorials, that I've created in the past months as part of my monthly newsletter, Gamer Resource...

An intro and map setup:
    http://www.gamer-printshop.com/resou...2-tutorial.pdf

Advanced tutorial:
    http://www.gamer-printshop.com/resou...d-tutorial.pdf

Pics & Files for the Advanced tutorial (.zip file)
    http://www.gamer-printshop.com/resou...d-tutorial.zip

Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Professional Artist keithcurtis's Avatar

…snip…
    Excellent post. My work experience is pretty similar to yours. Graphic design since 81, Digital pre-press and composition since '86. Although I am an Adobe and Macintosh man through and through, I support just about anyone's choice of work method. Results count more than anything else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12