Thread: Something Abbey

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor

Wip Something Abbey

Made with Photoshop.

Currently occupied Abbey in a forest. Still in the works.

any general tips/feedback are much appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abbeyRev.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	89819

Looks good, my only advise would be to make the room numbers half the size they are now. At this size they are a bit obtrusive, Unless of course they need to be read from Outer Space.

Haha, understood. Thank you!

Neat work. I don't know if it's intentional but I find the orientation of the chapel a bit odd. Having the chancel at the north end is very unusual, east is the more conventional direction as the rising sun is seen by a lot of religions as a divine gift. In fact the word 'orientation' comes from the fact that places of worship are 'oriented' if their altars are towards the east, which in olden days speak is 'orient'.

OK, great advice! i found it hard to actually find info on how/why certain rooms are. I'll change that around -- thank you!

I've read that deviation from the E-W can tell a lot about when in the year a church was designed, at least early ones. If the chancel is more towards NE then it was likely designed in the summer whereas one towards SE is more likely to have been designed in winter. I don't know how true this is but it does make sense as it would align with the sunrise at that time of year.

Here is a quick update on the Map...

I've added some fireplaces and added a glow
    Also changed the orientation on the structure itself
    Changed the Great Hall to be the main walk in area, with a small road on the side for horse/wagon/etc transportation
    and a few other minor details

The labels (compass, room numbers, key, title) are not set in stone [they look off to me right now] and are simply placeholders for now

I plan on adding a second floor for a 2nd Dorm., alchemist lab, observatory lab, high priest chambers, and the guard towers
    I also plan on adding some more details to the inner cloister

Still a WIP, but again feedback is much appreciated! Thank you for your advice already
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abbeyRev1.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	89945

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Traditionally "North" is the Top of the Map Paper.. So when Your Orientate the Paper that way your Compass Rose should Look right also. Don't Worry about Trying to line the Chappel up with a Particular Orientation..Lay it out how you think it Looks Best... Keep this in Mind...Not Every single "Chappel" is in the Exact same geographic Location.."earthly" bounds are different year around..A Building in the Northern Hemisphere and One in the Southern Hemisphere wont Orientate the same to be able to see the 'North Star" precisely at 12 th Hour on the 1st Day of the First Month.

I turned your MAp so Top is Up...Does the Legend, Writing and Compass Rose loork Right to You now?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Historically, people oriented maps so the Orient (aka the East) was at the top.
    At least one Dutch cartographer, William Blaeu, oriented his map of the new world so the west was on top.
    South on top was common by Arabic cartographers and McArthur's Universal Corrective Map.
    North on top was done by the classic Greeks and people with magnetic compasses.

So orient your maps however you want to emphasis whatever the cartographer feels is important, but it is best to be consistent.