Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Gas Station WIP

Wip Modern Gas Station WIP

Hello all,

This is my current WIP, it's suppose to be a map of a modern gas station. I'm making it mostly for fun and possibly for use in a D20 Modern adventure. It's fully playable right now, all I have left is to touch it up with furniture and stuff. Let me know what you guys think of it so far, constructive criticism is always welcome.

Updated progress:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_average_gas_station_b.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	540.5 KB 
ID:	18072

Outdated progress:

Name:	map_average_gas_station.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	543.1 KB 
ID:	18063

-Levi
    Last edited by Leviathan62089; 10-26-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Looks pretty good to me. Nice to see some modern stuff. My main issues with it are regarding scale (pumps 5+ feet wide 15'x10' parking spaces) which may not be resolvable if you're sticking with the standard D20 Modern 5' grid. Also, the parking space lines could maybe use some transparency so they look painted on to the asphalt. Nice job.
    M

Agreed, good to see modern stuff.

The double doors to the back room would probably swing both ways, and the main entrance may also.

The aisle shelving might be important for your game, providing cover, etc. They are pretty much permanent fixtures. I assume you're still working on these?
    Last edited by icosahedron; 10-26-2009 at 05:46 AM.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Yeah, the shelves I still need to make/add. As for the dimensions of the pumps/spaces I borrowed them from Christopher West. Partly because I don't know what normal vehicle dimensions are and Christopher West is my primary inspiration. Concerning the doors and opacity of the spaces, that is easy enough to do. Thanks for the positive feedback guys, please keep it coming.

Name:	map_average_gas_station_b.jpg 
Views:	1207 
Size:	540.5 KB 
ID:	18071

-Levi
    Last edited by Leviathan62089; 10-26-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I don't think I've ever seen gas pumps in that orientation. In my experience, the sides of the pumps are facing the building. (Thus traffic moving to/from the pumps moves parallel to the side of the building.) If the tile-looking area is sidewalk, the middle pumps would be awkward to access in this arrangement.

I've seen many pumps with that orientation, and checking out the measurements I don't think access is that bad. In the UK that would be quite a large and spacious station. Maybe it is a regional thing.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

In Da Lou (St. Louis) all of the QTs have this kind of orientation plus all of the On The Runs and most of the larger versions of other gas stations but the smaller ones have it the other way (sideways).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I've seen them both ways in various parts of country. To me the layout seems to depend on whether it is strictly a 'fuel center' (i.e. associated with a grocery chain) or a Convenience Store with gas pumps.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Older Australian ones have the pumps parallel to the road. Newer ones are nearly always perpendicular to the road or perpendicular to the shop-front. It makes security footage easier to take... no pump in the way of the people.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

That's really beautiful. Car to share any of the secret techniques behind its construction? I'd love to learn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast