Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternative Earth Map

Blog Entries

I've never read 1984, although I read a lot. Still, I know how to use the term "Orwellian" correctly and appreciate terms like big brother and newspeak sufficiently. When the concepts in a classic become pervasive enough in a culture, it is no longer necessary to read the book in order to understand the premise, although your personal context will be less uniform than those who have read the book.

I did recently read "Atlas Shrugged", and I can tell you that it isn't a book that translates well into simple expressions and ideas, and has to be read to be fully appreciated. It is also a dark-future-ish novel, although in Rand's future, the wheels don't just wobble and squeal as they do in 1984, they completely fall off. Fair warning: it's a bit of a slog in parts. Galt's manifesto near the end is a marathon rant. I have a feeling that if Ayn ever starting harping on me, I would have to get up and leave after a few hours for my own sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I preferred The Fountainhead to Atlas Shrugged. Though both have very similar philosophies (the whole "virtue of selfishness" thing Rand espouses).
    I've read both but can't say I really like either. Both are tough reads. Orwell managed to make his bleak entertaining (to me anyway) if still depressing. Of course I tried to read The Fountainhead for the first time in fifth grade...alongside Brave New World IIRC. Way too early. I managed Animal Farm in the summer following second grade - but I had no idea what it was really about until I came back to it later on. Maybe I should reread some Rand...it has been a very long time since I gave her a shot (though I did read her last time as an adult so at least I understood it [mostly...lol] )
    M

Guild Apprentice

I'm looking to create a similar type of map for a setting I'm developing and I wonder what technique you used on the creation of the country borders. I've had a heck of a time trying to think of how to do it and look anything close to what you have.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123