Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Regional Try

Wip New Regional Try

Hi all, I started working on a ISO-kinda-style regional map. Not sure where it will be going but it will be loads of work as I have to develop matching styles for alll elements. The mountain style is pretty ok I think. Struggling on how to make diffferent terrain types fit that style ... Cities are going to be in "comic-ISO" too (some 1st draft to see how it would look is included in screenshot). Also the terrain needs some warp to make it more ISO I guess. Anyway, all comments are appreciated during the process
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-3 copy.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	18103  

You are very definitely onto something here! I like what I see.
    The mountains are now crammed in the upper-right corner... I am curious how they look when they are in the middle of the map. At the moment they look good by the way.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Journeyer

I like it. But depending on the scale you are using here the mountains might be just too big. I like the way that they look and the hills as well, but I think the mountains could stand to be shrunk a little. On the other hand, if this map is supposed to only represent a very small area, say only 30 miles on a side then they are rather "comic" but not terribly mismatched.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff here...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm diggin it. The flat land does need some perspective distortion so what I do is flatten all the "land" layers together then edit - transform - perspective (hold down alt + shift and click and drag a corner out at the bottom and in at the top...alt + shift drags the opposite corner equally to match whichever one you drag).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

Thanks for the comments again! mountains not finished but did some more in different places to see how they stand out in the landscape.
    The idea is indeed to make it "comic-iso" style so I'm not too worried about scale and size (although I need to calm down on the rivers I think). Also I did the warping/perspective (nice tip) and that really helped getting the outlines in shape. Furthermore I started some 'perspective-re-shaping' to coast and rivers based on this and it is beginning to look more 3d now. I think (or hope..) that with right sized terrain elements it will work out ok. My main concern still is creation of terrain styles to mix good together. Anyway, more to come later... I'm really having a ball with this one

Name:	Untitled5.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	18111  

Blog Entries

Loving the style of this. The mountains are very cool.

I know you have more to do on it but at the moment I don't think that rocky texture you have fits at all with your beautiful hand-painted hills and mountains. I'm sure you'll sort it though.

Great stuff.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Dude, I have GOT to ask...

How did you do the mountains? Was there a trick or are we all doomed to many hours of drawing little lines for our mountains...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Looking good. Those mountains are quite striking. Maybe some mid-height hills between the foothills and the mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    ...I don't think that rocky texture you have fits at all with your beautiful hand-painted hills and mountains...
    Agreed. It makes it all go sort of "flat" when your eye hits those textures. Not sure what to do about it though.
    M

Wip

I currently feel more like a painter then a carthographer... The texture in the south was still in the area i didnt get to yet but i changed it so it doesnt distract .

If there were some trick on the moutains i'd be more then happy to share it but I'm afraid they are all handpainted In general I use the ISO-style mountain trick (tutorial on the forums) but use multiple colors and a texture. (I can post some wip-sequence-pictures to see how i do it, if you like)
    I'll add the foothills to my to-do list as the hill/mountain contrast is indeed a bit odd.

Furthermore I started experimenting with the forrest style. Needs tweaking but I'm getting there I think. Maybe not enough progress for another WIP picture but here's one anyway

Name:	Untitled6.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	18126  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast