Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Continent WIP

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Wip Continent WIP

Hi Everyone! Long time no see!

After a long break from mapping, I decided to try my hand again. This is a random continent I've been messing around with. I'm to the point where I need to start labeling and putting in roads/cities/etc. (I think), but I thought I'd stick it up and get some opinions first.
    Last edited by Gidde; 09-06-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The colors are different but still interesting and nice, me dig. I'd put the rivers underneath the forest and then on the forests very lightly erase a bit so that the river just peaks through here and there. Overall, I like it a lot.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like the colors, too.
    I think the forests are a bit blurry, though.

Agreed, on both counts. I think tonight I'm going to redo the forests entirely; I think the texture's too big, it makes the mountains look little. I'll incorporate these two suggestions when I do. Thanks!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it's quite good.

There seems to be some weird line patterning in the mountains - though I think that is something to do with the way GIMP is programmed.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks SG

Yeah, it's an artifact of shaped gradients in GIMP. I've been working on how to reduce/get rid of it, but haven't been able to yet.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

If I'm not mistaken RobA had some kinda work-around for this, but durned if I can find it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I played around with it a bit and I think the mountains are better now, but their style shifted a bit. A tiny gaussian blur got rid of the lines, but since I was fiddling with them anyway, I tried to fix their apparent size too, plus I wanted to add some foothills and random hills throughout the countryside.

I also sharpened and shrank the forest textures, and added a bit of a drop shadow on them. I opened up some of the previous forested area to allow for the human development.

In the top left forest, I tried both outlining the river and erasing a bit here and there. I'm not sure which I like better, or if I did either of them as well as I'd like to, but I'm not sure how to improve it. Any suggestions would be very welcome
    Last edited by Gidde; 09-06-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Replaced intermediate pic

Zoomed out, I really, really like the map. Zoomed in it's a bit blurry.
    Great work so far, though.

As for the rivers running through the forest: I would totally clear a path.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The mountains look great. You're on the right track with the forests but the edge looks a little too clean and defined - maybe add some clumps and break up the edges more...make it look ragged. Nice job, though, so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast