View Poll Results: Would numerous, program-specific tutorials for one map (see below) be useful to you?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, great idea! I would definitely like to see this project proceed!

10 76.92%
  • Probably; I like the idea, and would most likely use the tutorials &/or find them interesting

3 23.08%
  • Probably not. I'm doubtful the tutorials would be all that useful or interesting

0 0%
  • No, I definitely would neither find these tutorials useful nor interesting

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial group work idea?

Oh my! I never expected this amazing of a response, and with such a wide variety of programs--and such a sweet "all star cast" of volunteers!

Okay, so let's do it! First let's choose a map. I'm attaching one possibility below, but can some of you (whether you plan to create a tut or not) post ideas as well so we can have a variety to choose from? What I'm thinking is that we copy the style of the map, not the exact map itself. The downside would be that each of our maps would not be 100% the same. Another option is for someone to sketch out the basic layout of the map & we use the model map's style to create that. What do you all think of that?

And Arcana, no problem on the "control" worry--how about we each make tutorials individually then post them all as downloadable files (I'll do mine as a pdf) in the same thread in the "tutorials" category?

MY CHOICE: I'm choosing the Narnia map created for the recent film. I think this map has a nice mix of classic elements, is not too large or detailed to be reasonably created, and the monochromatic color is pleasingly "classic." (source for this image: http://www.moviecitynews.com/arrays/...arnia_map.html)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NarniaMap.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	610  
    Last edited by pyrandon; 08-08-2007 at 10:14 PM.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

Texturing is my bag, I can definately add to any tutorial in that respect.

Sandeman
    What???? You mean there is NO MAGIC RENDER BUTTON!

The map is great, but it's pretty big. For the purposes of a tutorial maybe we should just map a portion of it, else it will be hellishly time consuming (for a tyro like me anyway). I definitely think that we should all map the same bit which will make comparisons between applications easier.

If you agree Don, why don't you crop a a corner of the map for us to work on?

Any thoughts on this suggestion anyone?
    Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    The map is great, but it's pretty big. For the purposes of a tutorial maybe we should just map a portion of it, else it will be hellishly time consuming (for a tyro like me anyway). I definitely think that we should all map the same bit which will make comparisons between applications easier.

If you agree Don, why don't you crop a a corner of the map for us to work on?

Any thoughts on this suggestion anyone?
    Ravs
    I'll agree to that! I got a bit unnerved by the magnitude Maybe we should pick a standard map (possibly someone from the forum) that depicts the key elements for that type (overland) of map like water, forest, rivers, cities, border, legend, key, labeling, etc.

I'd also suggest someone suggest a font to use for each map, so that doesn't sway the final look.

-Rob A>

Default As long as the font is readable and still fun.

I like to enhance maps with cool display fonts - but I'll agree to whichever font you select.

I might enhance the labeling font (alittle - beveling, drop shadow, just to for added effect...)

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Yeah, the Celtic knotwork in the border is going to be interesting!
    I started digging for tools. SO far I found:

A fontset: http://www.clanbadge.com/knots.htm

A program (warning graphic intense page): http://perso.orange.fr/hypatiasoft/

A tutorial: http://www.entrelacs.net/Gimp-Tutorial

The font looks easiest, the program looks the most powerful, and the tutorial looks the cheapest

Seriously, the program looks really sweet, especially the SVG export in the registered version. I might have to dole out for this one...

-Rob A>

Yes, The Google is strong with this one...
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

OK< fellows, although I originally thought we'd just copy the style of the pattern map, I am equally happy with copying an exact map. In fact, you're right that this will be better in the long run.

I have attached a segment of the Narnia map below for us to use, and I've removed the border, compass rose, etc.

I was also bold enough to get rid of a couple other (very minor) artistic things (like Aslan's camp), since the point here in my mind is not who's the best artist but how we make the maps. I hope you all agree. In fact, I wouldn't care if we got rid of or copy-pasted the castles, etc., or even just used squares & circles.

I also agree that we should use the same font. Can anyone can figure out what font that map uses? If not we can choose some other "neutral" one.

Anyway, once we agree on the graphics & the font, I think we're good to go, right?

Fun fun fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NarniaMap_section.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	647  
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast