Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mapping Challenge Hall of Fame

Blog Entries

Gandwarf,

Thank you for saving me from the appearance of self-promotion!

I was planning on doing it Tuesday night after work, but work went long by about three hours and I had to dive right into school work in order to get halfway through this week's most-involved assignment, a powerpoint presentation that I could not help dolling up with a bit of Photoshop-fu.

Seriously though, thanks for indulging my inner frustrated statistician. I hope that maintaining this list will keep me hooked into the challenge, even when I'm too distracted to field an entry. I know this is an individual taste thing, but to me this particular tradition (the challenge) is the heart of the guild and the fastest way for anyone to improve their skill level. Promoting the past challenges is a great way to increase their visibility and enhance the legend of the competition.

Congrats Dj on your well-deserved award!!!

Blog Entries

Congratulations to Djekspek on his awesome second-consecutive win in the December 2009 challenge. His signature isometric, hand-drawn style has developed a large fan base among the Cartographer's Guild membership. Entries were light this month due to a rash of withdrawals, but the competition was still top-drawer with entries by heavyweights like Ascension and Gameprinter plus a rising star like Sapiento. Oddly, the most serious challenge was mounted by the newcomer synapticslack, whose "Young Orc's Christmas Battle Plan" came in at 14 votes to Djekspek's 20, another hand-drawn marvel.

I encourage you to give rep to those who you think deserve it in the challenge. These cartographers devote dozens, sometimes a hundred hours or more to advancing the state of digital cartography through the challenges, producing undeniable works of art with no more reward than what we give them. I think we should all be generous about the giving.

Happy 2010 to all!

Blog Entries

For the third month Running, Djekspek takes the compass. This is a first and has been noted on the list. It was a beautiful piece Djekspek and worthy of the win. Congratulations! Don't forget to rep those who you think earned it.

Blog Entries

Congratulations on another win for February Djekspek!
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Blog Entries

I felt motivated to go into the HoF post today and actually see all of the winners rather than just referencing them. I went ahead and put a link for your convenience so you can do the same without having to search. Take my advice: check them out! There is a lot of superb and inspiring work out there!

The link is to the post rather than the winning map. Not all of the winning entries are a single map.
    ----------

Blog Entries

Another month, another winner to add to the Challenge Hall of Fame. The April award goes to Ascension... someone who has devoted countless hours of his time, not just creating beautiful and inspirational maps to entertain us, but also numerous tutorials that have helped many of us over the hump between curious and craftsman. I can't speak for anyone else, but Ascension was my biggest influence over the past year, and I owe him a special thanks.
    ----------

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks for compiling this and keeping it updated, Immolate!

Blog Entries

And coincidentally, Gidde becomes another first-time winner of the Golden Compass for May 2010. Our gnomes will soon come to your home to carve a bust for the Hall of Fame, Gidde.
    ----------

This is an incredible list of folks and a stunning amount of art here. I am truly happy and amazed that I have 2 pieces in here. So much good stuff here
    Something witty and pithy

Amazing how similar the overall land mass is to Middle Earth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast