Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mapping Challenge Hall of Fame

Blog Entries

Post Mapping Challenge Hall of Fame

I went wandering through the archived challenge forum looking at challenges past, and being the analyst that I am, I started looking at trends such as number of entries and voters. Soon I went back and started collecting data. The results are yours to interpret.

YEAR - MONTH - Winner (Number of entries); voters: ## <votes / votes per voter> "Title of Piece"

2007 - MAY - Ravells (3); voters: 12 <5/1> "A Game of Pikes"
    2007 - JUNE - RobA (4); voters: 15 <11/1> "Niagara"
    2007 - JULY - Publius (3); voters 18 <9/1> "Grandmother's Tale"
    2007 - AUGUST - RobA (9); voters 16 <7/1> "Modern Rose"
    2007 - SEPTEMBER- Amonite (4); voters 22 <12/1> "The Glass Journal"
    2007 - OCTOBER - Torq (5); voters 26 <17/1> "Greenstone Monastery"
    2007 - NOVEMBER - Gamerprinter (2); voters 13 <13/1> "Superstition Valley"
    2007 - DECEMBER - Publius (9); voters 28 <9/1> "Cap'n Jane's Roost"

2008 - JANUARY - Gamerprinter (3); voters 19 <11/1> "A Thousand Welcomes"
    2008 - FEBRUARY - TerrainMonkey (5); voters 28 <16/1> "The Ruined Manorhouse"
    2008 - MARCH - RobA (14); voters 82 <26/1> "Multilevel Madness"
    2008 - APRIL - SpamValiant (11); voters 34 <11/1> "Islands in the Endless Streams"
    2008 - MAY - dorpond (25); voters 66 <15/1> "Bluffs Encounter"
    2008 - JUNE - Ravells (-8-); voters 33 <15/1> "Stormlit Cloister"
    2008 - JULY - Vry (7); voters 32 <29/2.53*> "Kane's Place"
    2008 - AUGUST - RobA (7); voters 38 <22/1.79**> "QnD Tiles"
    2008 - SEPTEMBER- Gamerprinter (30); voters 116 <68/6> "Archean League"***
    2008 - OCTOBER - mmmmmpig (25); voters 52 <32/5> "Something Swampish This Way Comes"
    2008 - NOVEMBER - mmmmmpig (25); voters 46 <27/5> "System Map"
    2008 - DECEMBER - Steel General/Bohunk (11); voters 46 <21&21/2> "The Defense of Long Fallen Urak, the Siege of Brenton Heights"

2009 - JANUARY - Bohunk (21); voters 53 <39/4> "East Tharduur"
    2009 - FEBRUARY - Qbistal (14); voters 59 <33/3> "The Planet Which Has Stopped"
    2009 - MARCH - Torq (19); voters 48 <35/4> "The Ashakbur Goblin Reservation"
    2009 - APRIL - Ascension (15); voters 47 <35/3> "City of Edram"
    2009 - MAY - Mystic Magellan (9); voters 36 <23/2> "Escape from Winter Mountain"
    2009 - JUNE - Gamerprinter (9); voters 51 <36/2> "Assassin's Lair"
    2009 - JULY - Tear (-8-); voters 54 <33/1> "Realm of the Silver Sun"
    2009 - AUGUST - Armoredgear7 (7); voters 55 <18/1> "Oten'jo"
    2009 - SEPTEMBER- Toff (14); voters 58 <34/3> "Passage of Time - Woadsbury"
    2009 - OCTOBER - Immolate (15); voters 55 <37/3> "Siete Torres"
    2009 - NOVEMBER - Djekspek (11); voters 57 <35/2> "Qonworld"
    2009 - DECEMBER - Djekspek (7); voters 46 <20/1> "An Orc's Tale"

2010 - JANUARY - Djekspek (9); voters 48 <19/1> "City of Tyrborg"
    2010 - FEBRUARY - Djekspek (10); voters 47 <25/2> "Rotating Madness"
    2010 - MARCH - Djekspek (8.); voters 42 <24/2> "Winter in Iwaizumi"****
    2010 - APRIL - Ascension (12); voters 58 <39/3> "Boran's Big Travel Map"
    2010 - MAY - Gidde (6); voters 33 <11/1> "Inn of the Western Sands"
    2010 - JUNE - Immolate (9); voters 42 <15/1> "Wheel of Time"
    2010 - JULY - Crayons (6); voters 37 <21/2> "The Solur Nexedifice of Kharaghan"
    2010 - AUGUST - mearrin69 (7); voters 47 <37/2> "Brushy, Kansas - 1873"
    2010 - SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER MEGA CONTEST*****
    ..........................RJBeals (26); voters 40 <30/6>"Roots of Hip Hop"
    ..........................Cereth (26); voters 40 <19/6>"Never York"
    ..........................Immolate (26); voters 40 <22/6>"Zombies in Central Park! (certified zombie-free)"

* This month voters were allowed to vote for as many as they wished to vote for. 81 votes for 32 voters = 2.53 votes per voter.
    ** This month voters were allowed to vote for as many as they wished to vote for. 68 votes for 38 voters = 1.79 votes per voter.
    *** September 2008 was the legendary revote, spoken about in hushed tones like a bunch of grizzled 1860's prospectors talking about the blizzard of 1857. This month had the most voters, the most entries, and the most controversy. The officiator, delgondahntelius, was taken out and flogged afterward, and branded with a unique badge known as "The Delgondahntelius Faux Pas".
    **** Djekspek becomes first cartographer to earn five consecutive challenge compasses.
    *****2010 Mega Contest lasted two months and challenged cartographers to create maps of New York. This contest featured the largest number of votes (to that point) in spite of numerous withdrawals.
    Last edited by Immolate; 11-08-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Post Already know the numbers...

Except for the earliest challenges, my first was August 07 and I participated in nearly every challenge, except for two, until the start of this year, when I only participated in February and June. I've always tracked the progress for all challenges, in that time, however. So most of these numbers I'm already familiar.

I can almost tell you, who was in second and by what margin as well, in every challenge I entered, and others too.

That November 07 challenge, my first win, I was the only entry until the last week of the month, I felt it might have been a sullied win, as the only entry, then RobA entered and gave me some competition. Still, my favorite win was in September 08, because it was the largest number of entries in guild history so far, and lots of voters - with so many great competing maps.

I'm so glad that the Challenge has really grown and become an anticipated feature each month. In the early days it seemed to struggle for attention.

And since only four (?) challenges have been sponsored with prizes, I'm proud to having sponsored two, as proud as I am of my wins.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-29-2009 at 03:55 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well I had offered prize(s) on 1 or 2 others, but no one wanted the Gift Certificates!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

GP: You and RobA are the giants of the challenge. You both soldiered on when it was obvious that it was in danger of dying from disinterest. Without your efforts, it would not now be our premier event and a big draw.

I can say without reservation that I have learned more from participating in the challenges than from any other motivator.

SG: Your efforts have been no less prodigious. I already knew you were tireless, but I learned the truth of it looking through the contests. You are also un-relenting. Your value to this community is inestimable.

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    GP: You and RobA are the giants of the challenge. You both soldiered on when it was obvious that it was in danger of dying from disinterest. Without your efforts, it would not now be our premier event and a big draw.
    Hah! now I shouldn't bother entering, as most people are so much better than I.

Though at least it wasn't a complete shutout the last month for me, two people has some sympathy threw a vote my way, much like people toss pocket change to people on street-corners.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    SG: Your efforts have been no less prodigious. I already knew you were tireless, but I learned the truth of it looking through the contests. You are also un-relenting. Your value to this community is inestimable.
    Thanks Immolate, I appreciate that very much.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That list needs not only number of voters and number of entries, but also how many pieces we could vote for. Sometimes it's one, sometimes three ...

Post Divisible by 5 up to a point.

Since multi vote was implemented, it was always for every 5 entries you got a vote. However its important to note that multi-vote did not get enabled until sometime in 2008 - I forget when that was. And also that many voters even now only vote for one, no matter how many they get to vote.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Updated to indicate number of winning votes, number of votes per voter and title of the winning piece.

and Immolate gets the next slot (congrats again, Immy!).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast