Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Durra - The Land of Shivers

Here is a sepia version of the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	durra_sepia_1500.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	714.0 KB 
ID:	18209  
    Last edited by Tear; 10-31-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typo

Drool... totally loving it man, especially the sea area, loving the texture of the water, its unique. The sepia map is also great, almost looks like someone pulled it out of their bag and unrolled it. Now quickly look the other way while I steal your talent

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I love the two versions.
    Very beautiful style.
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Blog Entries

Another wonderful map. Your talent amazes me.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Member

Sweet! I love it.

Guild Apprentice

Woah! Looks like you're going to get yourself a fan, Tear.

I saw this map about a week ago and never noticed the author... then I saw your reference to it in the spectacular work on your "first world map" thread and realized it was you again.

Both are great! To be honest, two of the best pieces of work I've seen here so far!

I want to do multiple versions of the same map. How do you layout your Photoshop file, and how do you produce a second version (like sepia) after you have already made the completed map?

Paul -
    What sort of graphics tools do you have at hand? Doing varied versions is vastly eased by using an app with layers, which is a Photoshop basic. Instead of flattening things as you go, you'll want to preserve as separate the bits that will be common - coastlines, rivers, city locations, etc. If a particular version gets to have too many layers to deal with -- say, your computer starts to bog down -- save off a version that concentrates on that version, and delete those layers from the main file. Or if the new version has things you'll want to refer to while building other versions, flatten it in the main and keep the composite as one layer - save a bit of filespace.

Granted, your query has a bit of applicability to the way Tear did this - still, you'll get better response by posting a how-do-I in its own thread, in the "How do I???" forum or one of the genre-specific forums.

Tear, to include on-topic commentary against an old thread, I'll just say this was another crazy-awesome map, and since I didn't rep you then I will now :-).

@jbgibson
    thx for the hints.
    Yes, "non-destructive" is the way to go.
    At present, as I learn techniques, I'm trying to see if there is a way to do them non-destructively.
    Good call on the memory issue though.

Ah yes, well if Photoshop were written worth a damn (by programmers instead of designers) then it would be able to INCLUDE (as layers) files saved separately. But then, most designer-oriented tools are not modularly programmed by any stretch. (/snark ;-)

I'm kidding, sort of. I actually straddle the world between design and architecture. There's plenty of stuff written by programmers with bad design, or by designers with bad programming. It's next to impossible to get them both right.
    Last edited by paulbhartzog; 11-21-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Fascinating to see how you put this together. Thank you for laying out the steps. The end result is lightness above dark and conveys the "cool/cold" feeling of the title. The title upper right is very nice - matching the map exactly.
    Regards, Gary

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast