Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mearrin69's art thread...

Blog Entries

Nice pic and well drawn from the original. If your going to publish you should ensure that you have license / permission from that reference cos a new sketch based on it is still a copy. This came up recently with the Obama pic from AP photo ref.

Thanks. I had wondered about that. I doubt anybody that has lived for the past few centuries owns the "design patent" on the statue but the pic is indeed copyright. I didn't copy it directly, however, so I'm not sure of the particulars behind that one. I will look into it.

As I understand it, the Obama flap was because they guy used the same pixels, modified by a few filters. He made no significant changes from the original AP photo - as he would have had to get his piece from the photo he originally *claimed* to have used as a source. I think he would have been in the clear if that *had been* the source. Maybe even clear with the actual source, according to the lawyers I've seen quoted, if he hadn't made clear his intention to conceal that he had used it.

Still. Very cognizant of it and not very well versed in the law myself. Imma check it out with my company's attorney in depth as I get closer to actually putting something out. Can't go to that guy piecemeal...I need a bunch of questions and clarifications in the hopper

Thanks!
    M

Blog Entries

Well if you have access to attorneys then post the gist of what they claim. We get loads of queries on copyright and whats in/out. I know there's no definite until you get to court and a judge but to have some idea is better than not.

Well, I really let this thread slip over the holidays. In addition to trying to catch up with mapping I've been working on portraits for pre-generated characters for my adventure. I'm looking here for people that are kind of unique. This one (very wip as you can tell) is a female fighter. The axes are stand-ins...they'll probably be some weird kind of monk weapon. I'm picturing her as a real wushu kind of a** kicker (can we use words like that here? censored just in case we can't). Stayed away from the chainmail bikini syndrome...but tried to keep it sexyish. [edit: guess I should mention that there is a PS watercolor filter applied to this...mainly to mask how very unfinished the portrait still is.]

All of my portraits are using Poser renders for reference on both pose and lighting. In the case of this character I also used the face and hair. These aren't straight paint-overs, a fact you might discern on your own by noticing how asymmetrical I've got the face right now. I use the render and other refs and paint them by hand (though I do sample colors if I like them). The costume is reffed from a pirate costume site. I was just going to use the blouse but then realized I sort of liked the pants and boots too. I hiked up the shirt a bit...maybe too much, but the model had such a nice mid-section.

I've got another one in the hopper (render attached). This one may or may not look more or less like a homocidal hispanic arborist. He certainly won't be wearing tennies.

If anyone wants to see the refs I can post 'em - though I'll have to censor the girl a bit as she's quite nude in the render.
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marcus1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	21634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pre-gen1.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	291.2 KB 
ID:	21635  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 01-31-2010 at 02:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12