Thread: My First Map Try

Map My First Map Try

I'm new to map making and this site. I used RobA's tutorial to make this, had no luck making mountains...

Any tips or critiques?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewMap.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	18458  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks fine so far. Can't help ya with the mountains, though, sorry. I'm not fluent in Gimp.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm not either. I've always used Photoshop for everything I've done. Now I don't have it and can't afford it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Read through all of the follow-up posts on his tut as others discuss some of the things that they have done for the mountains and forests.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah, I'm doing that, it's a lot to read through though. I'm glad that I have no life right now...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Try RobA's simple mountains in gimp tutorial. It gives some great results when combined with the artistic regional tut.

Argh...once again, even with the 'easy' one, I have no luck...this is killing me...6 hours(I seriously need to get some sort of life...)of work and I still can't get it looking good...

In my attempt to use the first one it looks bad...

In my attempt to use the 'easy' one, it looks worse...

Yes the mountains are in shapes you'll probably never find realistically, but these are just practice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewMap2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	18468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CSAMap2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	18469