Thread: First Time Poster - Testing Pasis's Terrain Style

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip First Time Poster - Testing Pasis's Terrain Style

Well I have been lurking for long enough and have fallen in love with Pasis's Terrain mapping style and tutorial. I whipping up this map last night just to play with his style and see what I could learn from his excellent tutorial. Given my limited Photoshop skills I think it turned out pretty well.

Self Criticism: I think I need to make the forest terrain smaller as the trees look to large vs. the mountains and I don't like how the clearings turned out so I may remove them from the texture / pattern. I also think I'm going to look for a different water texture.

Question One: As you can see I applied my ground layer in tiles and the edges are creating artifacts through the terrain above. Is there an easy way to fix this or avoid it in future maps? It's the only real issue I can see and while I know how to use Photoshop at a basic level my skills do not extend to why things do what they do or how to fix things. I know enough to follow most tutorials without each individual step being explained but that is about it.

Question Two: Can anyone suggest how to make the mountains more prominant? I want them to appear a bit more 3D, kind of growning up out of the map. As it is now they king of appear flat, at the same level as everything else. The hills and ground terrain almost feel more prominant than the mountains.

With this style and I am definately excited to learn more however. Please, comment away!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final - Test.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	18143