Thread: Intuos and serial-to-USB?

Post Intuos and serial-to-USB?

Hi guys,
    Technical question I'm hoping someone has run into before. I have a new computer with no serial port and have been stuck using my teensy Wacom Graphire. I'd like to use my older 6"x8" Intuos but don't know if it'll work with a serial-to-USB adapter. Anybody tried this? Do the drivers work properly?

I'm on Vista and *might* upgrade to Windows 7 (only because I have a coupon for it) but would hold off if that'll cause problems in that area. Of course I put one of the fancy new Intuos on my holiday wish-list so let's hope this is just a temporary solution!
    M

[edit]I should note that Wacom's knowledgebase thingie notes that this does work on a Mac up to OS 9.something. No note on PCs/Vista. I have sent a query to tech support but was hoping for first-hand experience.[/edit]
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-29-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Blog Entries

No first hand knowledge here I am afraid but in theory a USB serial port patches in a serial port in such a way that as far as the upper layers of the OS do not know whether the serial port is native or a USB type. I.e. it really ought to work. If the device is being powered from the serial port (which is a real dodgy thing to do) then it might not work.

Secondly, I heard today that M$ are going to charge people for upgrading to Win7 with that 'free' voucher...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It may depend on whether you can get a hold of up to date drivers. I had a similar problem with a wireless MS keyboard and mouse. There were no updated drivers for VISTA so the keyboard would not work properly with the PS2->USB converter.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    No first hand knowledge here I am afraid but in theory a USB serial port patches in a serial port in such a way that as far as the upper layers of the OS do not know whether the serial port is native or a USB type. I.e. it really ought to work. If the device is being powered from the serial port (which is a real dodgy thing to do) then it might not work.
    I was thinking that too. The Intuous, BTW, was one of those with the plug-in adapter that provided power.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Secondly, I heard today that M$ are going to charge people for upgrading to Win7 with that 'free' voucher...
    I don't doubt that. Mine is, fortunately, provided free-of-charge by HP. They're not even charging me S&H, which surprised me because Office Depot said I'd have to pay it.

@SG: Yeah. I worry about up-to-date drivers. I think, with Vista's built-in tablet support, that at least some of the features would work. Don't know about pressure sensitivity and tilt.
    M

I actually found the Tablet PC utility to be a hindrance to using my tablet. As soon as I turned it off, my Intuos worked perfectly. Until then, I had no end of problems with it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Indeed. I couldn't figure out why my tablet suddenly sucked until I figured out the Windows thing was interfering. I turned it off too. On the other hand, the handwriting recognition works famously...it can read my chicken scratch.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I hate that thing mainly because I make my letters in such different ways I keep confusing it. Plus every time I need to input some numbers it kicks on and won't go away.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps