Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Siete Torres - The City of Seven Towers

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Yeah, that's a pretty great looking city-map. Nice work.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I loved "walking" in this city.
    Very beautiful.

I just starting to make city maps, but this map is a model for me.
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Blog Entries

It's funny Noon, I know Siete Torres better than any town I've ever lived in, having spent so many hours in her streets.

Oh and thanks for all of the praise! I really appreciate the motivational fuel
    Last edited by Immolate; 11-05-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: avoiding consecutive posts

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Once you've built a city like this you really get to know it and if there's a writer inside then you have all the fuel you'll ever need for a setting because half of the work is already done. You just need to flesh out some stories for the people who are already here...like the baker or the blacksmith or why the turner has a pegleg. World-building is easy compared to city-building and much better for generating stories in my opinion. Once it's done, you don't want to leave...you want to explore those nooks and crannies and find out what's there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

I must say that im truly impressed. and i dont know were to start if i ever want to do half that good. Only one thing springs to my mind... your "Gates" or the small square towers on the wall. they seem sligthly transparant? you can actealy see the wall beneath them, as if it hat an alpha of 98% ore some.. is that on purpose or? :S

Still great map and Way to go

Blog Entries

Ascension... writing is easy, mapping is hard. I don't know why that is. Words flow effortlessly most of the time, and once they've started, they just keep coming. But cartography requires constant effort and constant validation. If what I'm creating doesn't appeal to my eye, I lose energy and volition. I am a craftsman at heart, not an artist. I want to construct something of beauty at some level that pleases with its aesthetic. The biggest gun in my armory may be my pen, but I can't see or judge the quality of my words. Mapping is hard, but it satisfies.

So using cartography as an inspiration for words--not so much. I think mapping is instead a potent short-hand for words, with a well-crafted image conveying a massive wellspring of information, seemingly without effort. But we here at the Cartographer's Guild, we industrious gnomes, we know better. We don't spit out maps... we birth them, with all of the pain and mess that entails.

Zleaping Bear: that doesn't surprise me. Somewhere in the fever swamp of inspiration that was Siete Torres, I evolved out of my "blending through transparency" stage. There are probably other examples. There is great value in understating and transparency is a powerful tool for that purpose, but it isn't the only tool, and sometimes its the wrong tool. As much as I'd like Siete Torres to be perfect, it would be too easy to get stuck in that map and loose the motivation to produce and progress. But thank you for bringing it to my attention, and even more, thank you for caring enough to look that closely. It is that sort of scrutiny that prompts me to cross my t's and dot my i's.
    Last edited by Immolate; 11-09-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: The words come easy, but sometimes stupid.

This map is stunning. The icons are a fine touch and are very nicely done.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

This is an amazing map. Have some Rep!

Beautifully composed map. The shadow on the bridge looks a little bit odd, because it seems as if the bridge undulates upwards in the center, but it doesn't really detract from what is a lovely map.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Actually, that's exactly what both bridges do - rise in the middle. I suspect you're referring to the one in the NW, where the shadow stays mostly under the bridge.. compare to the bridge in the SE where you see the entire structure's shadow. Based on the angle of sunlight vs angle of bridge, that is what the shadow would look like from this perspective.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast