Thread: Siete Torres - The City of Seven Towers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Map Siete Torres - The City of Seven Towers

This was a challenge map for the October 2009 challenge "Trading".

The map was based on the river in Ascension's town tutorial, which is absolutely gorgeous, and the walls and towers in CoyoteMax's Cruzament De Rio. After that, I went my own way.

Siete Torres has a number of unusual characteristics. The shadows are all hand-created using a -45 global light. Contrary to popular opinion, I am not a masochist: I did this so that I could represent complex shadows on surrounding layers of multiple elevations. It's a tricky process, and you can't be perfect with it, but the results are quite satisfying.

The shields are another unique feature. There's nothing mysterious about them, but I'm happy with the way they turned out.

There were a few other, more minor innovations throughout the map, but mostly it was a product of a massive investment of time, and the tireless efforts of a few people who offered invaluable criticism and encouragement. They are:

CoyoteMax, Gandwarf (master of cities), Steel General, Gidde, Ascension, ravells, nolgroth, Roger, shantedracule, rdanhenry, mearrin69, armoredgear7, ffxfiend, Ashenvale, Ramah, Xyll, and Skinnerman02.

Thanks to all of them for the help they provided.

If you want to follow the day-to-day growth of the map, see the challenge thread.

The changes to the map from the original thread are:

Complete replacement of the residential area inside the walls with a more varied construction and a large, colorful great fair tent. One can find any manner of good or service at the fair, not all of which are strictly legal.

Legend of unlabeled icons as suggested by one of the commentors. I looked for the comment to identify who it was that suggested it, but couldn't find it. Whoever you are, thank you!

I hope you enjoy it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siete Torres Final.jpg 
Views:	1084 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	18150
    Last edited by Immolate; 10-29-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Spinner was spelled "Spiner"