Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ascension... let's get started

Guild Novice

Wip Ascension (name of the city)... let's get started

Edit -- Ouch... I see that there's a Community Leader with the same name of the city. Well, if it's a problem I'll change the name of the topic.

I need to train a bit. Well... I think more than 'a bit' :p.
    When I created Ascension for one of my stories I designed a sketch of it, so I think it could be a start.
    To make some exercise I'll try to make it more nice.

The first thing you like to know is that Ascension is in a lake. It's not an island, but a platform magically floating IN the lake. Then:

- 1 Big central market between 2 big warehouse.
    - 4 big roads that finish on a drawbridge.
    - 4 tower that command the drawbridges.
    - 1 hospital (digged in a big pearl transplanted from another plane) with a private dock.
    - 1 garden.
    - 4 big quarters divided by the main roads.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ascension.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	18148

I used only autorealm to create it, now I'll try to read some tutorial around and see what can I do. I think to start using gimp and Inkscape.
    I'm reading tutorials and other topics around... and as you can see I really need suggestion, I have a lot to learn .
    Last edited by dr Jack; 10-29-2009 at 04:48 PM.

This might get confusing... Ascension is also a community leader on our forum
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

No, there's no need to change the name of your city. I find it rather funny and can't wait for all the confused people stumbling into this thread (like I did)
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Guild Novice

Well I called it Ascension because it was a city created from an ancient race. They wanted to use it as a siege engine to break in the heavens.
    I thought Ascension was a good name that give the idea .

(In the past was flying... now the humans can only make it floating in the water.)

It sounds like a cool background for that city! Breaking the heavens would probably be a bad idea

At the moment I don't fully understand your drawing by the way. I don't understand where the drawbridges are located...

Actually, I was hoping it was going to be a map of Ascension in Groam, for the CWBP. I started that map a while back but dropped it about halfway through.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2091
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Adept

I fell for it.

Guild Novice

There's a drawbridge at the end of every road.
    They're not permanent drawbridge like the one in the castles, are more similar to bridge (maybe I'm using the wrong word) on a ship used to mooring the city on the coast.
    Ascension can move on the lake, is a sort of big ship...

For now on the map there only two tent to defend every drawbridge, but no symbol for the drawbirdge himself.
    Last edited by dr Jack; 10-29-2009 at 05:40 PM.

I like the concept (and the name).

I'm not fully understanding the four roads, however. On your sketch they're quite large (wide but short) but where do they go and how much traffic do they carry? Just from the edges to the center? Is there traffic from the edges at all? Where does it come from?

Does the city move or just float? Maybe if it moves it could dock at various ports-of-call. Might be interesting.

Just some thoughts.
    M

Guild Novice

The roads are big because I wasn't good to draw them :p.
    They're the biggest road in the city, and maybe a little bigger than normal. But not so big like in this sketch.

The ancient civilization created them to help the troops to go in the middle, but now it's a normal city e no more a siege engine city, so someone have build on it.

The market of the city is the one in the center, the blue thing is a huge portal where they took in food and other goods. They come from everywhere.

The edge is used less. The traffic is more in the center.

The city can move, but the lake is not an ocean. They use it as a good defence.

Well, the city economic is based on tertiary sector.
    Scientist, lawyers, magician, medics, archivist... ecc.

I think the city idea is really more complex than his map :p.

For now I read this tutorial.
    Within some hours I plan to read and applicate this or this.
    But they're both for photoshop, if you know something better for Gimp / Inkscape, or you think there's a better tutorial for my idea, I'll be delighted to use it.
    Last edited by dr Jack; 10-30-2009 at 07:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast