Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragons! My sketch practice

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post Dragons! My sketch practice

So I wanted to post a screenshot today with a white dragon - but I couldn't find any open source freely available white dragon art that I liked. So I'm doing my own.

Not a map I know but as a few people have been putting up non-mapping wips here I thought I'd stick it up too for fun.

Here he is so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhiteDragon.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	18181

Post Excellent!

Excellent illustration, Torstan! Better than any illustration I've posted.

In fact the only Dragon illustration I've posted here, just got noted because my dragon's got nipples!

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...dragon+nipples

Heh!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff Torstan! (no pun intended)
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like that a lot but he doesn't have a tongue Great sketch.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Pretty awesome. Might be a sketch but it's pro quality as far as I'm concerned. What's the medium?

Also, I hope nobody's taking offense that folks (me included) have been posting non-map art in the General Discussion area. I like to see what other artistic things people are working on. Maybe we need a non-map art forum?
    M

Thanks Mearrin! It's all photoshop.

Okay, I think this is done. If anyone has any thoughts then I might do a little more to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhiteDragon.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	18183

Might make a good supporter for a map .

Needs another head on the other side or perhaps a tail winding down for the lower right.

S

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Thanks Mearrin! It's all photoshop.
    Egad. Well, then, I'm doubly impressed. I would have sworn it was charcoal on roughish paper but was wondering what the white strokes were. If digital I would have guessed Painter. Done in Photoshop that's very impressive.

[edit]As to what else to do with it I guess that depends on purpose. What are you planning to do with it? It's good to go for a lot of purposes. For a cover illustration it might want a bit more work.[/edit]
    M

Well it's not going to be a cover illustration. This is for a screenshot in my series about the Breaking of Forstor Nagar project I'm involved in. The screenshot will be up on Monday (but for those who want a sneak peak it's here: screenshot) Note that not all of the art there is mine. The tokens are Devin Nights and the portrait of the warrior is by Tyler Bartley.

However if I were to truly want to polish this - do you have suggestions?

As for the photoshop issue - not only is it all PS, it's all done with a hard round brush. Probably what I use 99% of the time these days. The shades are all done with layers set to soft light and built up over a textured background.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    However if I were to truly want to polish this - do you have suggestions?
    Well, a real artist might have more suggestions but here's mine. It's still pretty sketchy. You've got all of the right shapes and colors in there so I think it's just a matter of continuing to refine it until you get it to the level you want to reach. I've been practising painting lately but have generally done it on just one layer (or one for skin, one for hair, etc). For me it just means progressively smaller brushes, gentler color variation, and usually lower opacity. I'm not fully understanding how you're using layers but I imagine it's mostly the same.

I, for one, very much like sketchy. Most of my favorite art (fine and fantasy) isn't photo-realistic...in fact I generally dislike photo-realistic stuff. That's why I said I think it's done. I'd put it into *my* bestiary next to the white dragon entry...yeah, if I had a bestiary.
    M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast