Thread: Shaladad and surrounds

Wip Shaladad and surrounds

This is my first attempt at drawing a map on the computer (and first post here too!). I am using GIMP. So far I have the sea and land relief, plus cities/towns and some roads. I am not sure how to show the different terrain types, having tried a colour overlay for the "Living Forest". I am considering symbols in black s an alternative (eg, icons of trees for forest).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pixie World.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	817.9 KB 
ID:	18188  

Welcome to the guild The Pixie!
    Your map has quite an interesting style, using contours to show different terrain. Not too fond of the font you are using, it's a bit plain I think. Oh and watch out with red as a color for the text. It's not always the best choice as it tends to blend into the terrain.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The standard atlas colors go from a medium blue to light blue for oceans, medium green to light green for lowland, dark orange/medium brown to white for mountains. But that just tells ya the different heights of the land not the terrain type. For that I am assuming you will want some tans for deserts, dark greens for swamps, grays for tundra, etc. I think your map is pretty cool so keep on doin' what ya do and welcome to The Guild.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Looking forward to seeing where you take this.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.