Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aronbor

Repped. This is a wonderful map. I've got to try some stuff in this style...though I can't imagine my execution would come to a quarter of the level of this one. Nice work.
    M

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Cool backstory...
    The part about the wall does remind me of the wall in George R. R. Martin's books. It that coincidence? Just wondering... sometimes I get great ideas, but then I Google them and realise it has all been done before
    It reminds me of it too, which is annoying as this idea does precede ASoIaF by about half a dozen years. :S So yeah, it's pure coincidence. When I did the Vaniya map I was toying with the idea of somehow changing it or missing it off, purely because I didn't like the similarities (although there's no ice involved in mine and it isn't MASSIVELY HIGH) but I decided to leave it in because screw it, I myself know I didn't copy it. Hehe.

Redrobes: I have a small part of another continent sketched in a book from long ago where the story I plan on writing for NaNoWriMo takes place. Other than that the world is bare. My original sketch of Vaniya (which I rediscovered after I had done the Vaniya map and so varies quite a lot) goes further north with several countries up there making up Northern Vaniya.
    As for doing more in this style, well I'd still like to Perdon which was the map I was toying with doing at the start of this mapping cycle. I have the base map sorted so I'm set to go. There are also a few cities I would like to do and I would also try and keep the same or at least a similar (hand drawn with roughly the same palette) look for those. But as I said after Vaniya... the prospect scares me. I think any shortcomings in the knowledge of the mapper will be more obvious with a city map. (Why would this be positioned there? Where is the so-and-so? Etc.)

And thank you Mearrin.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Amazing map, Ramah. [Dammit, no rep possible. Will do it ASAP]

I would love to see you do a city map Ramah!
    Maybe you should start small... with a village to try out the style.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    ... sometimes I get great ideas, but then I Google them and realise it has all been done before
    I feel the same way, someone once told me that all the basic story lines/ideas/plots have been used ad nauseum. All one can really do is try to put a new spin/twist to them.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    I think any shortcomings in the knowledge of the mapper will be more obvious with a city map. (Why would this be positioned there? Where is the so-and-so? Etc.)
    Give it a start and see if it inspires you. I'm finding through mapping my continent (which I'm decidedly vague on) that the map is inspiring the story, rather than the other way around.

Don't worry about George R. R. Martin. I believe some Chinese guy beat him to the idea of a big wall by a few years.

Blog Entries

Oops. I realised I had forgotten to include the font information in my original post. I've edited it in there now.

Thanks to all you lovely, unsung heroes of font creation.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Don't worry about George R. R. Martin. I believe some Chinese guy beat him to the idea of a big wall by a few years.
    I think the chinese guy thought on a much bigger scale, but there was also this roman guy, too.

And great map, Ramah! No rep due to my not having repped enough other fine folks at the moment.
    Last edited by Karro; 11-02-2009 at 11:44 AM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

This is a very nice map. It was done very well.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast