Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Westeros and Essos as star systems

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Post Westeros and Essos as star systems

Westeros and Essos recreated as star systems, with Essos as a binary system. Both star systems slowly revolve around each other, with the Summer Isles as their axis and sole stable travel corridor ("The Narrows"). Location of planets doesn't necessarily correspond with geographical positions in the book verse. Given orbital mechanics I had to adapt where it became necessary. Still, I hope you enjoy my effort.

UPDATE. AGAIN. The full file is just too large to be displayed without errors. But I made a cut-out of the planet descriptions so you can get an impression of what it's all about.

Cut-Out.

Map.

The idea for the map stems from a thread on Spacebattles.com where people discussed how a Game of Thrones in Space setting would be. I just picked that up and decided to run with it, adapting the book series' prologue chapter to a scifi setting.

You can read it here.

I've got a few ideas floating around in my head, but I wanted to get the map done before maybe picking up where I left of again.
    Last edited by Wired; 03-18-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Banned User

This must have destroyed your PC, surely?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Holy smokers, this is great! I think my favourite thing about it is the re-imagining of an established geography, but the art and details is just amazing.

cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    This must have destroyed your PC, surely?
    Let me phrase it like this: I could go and make a coffee when I wanted to zoom in or out and be back just in time. :p And I'm not even exaggerating that much here. I upgraded my system two weeks ago (getting ready for The Witcher 3), and even with a state-of-the-art i7 4 Ghz processor at my back my rig had one hell of a time in trying to handle the file.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Holy smokers, this is great! I think my favourite thing about it is the re-imagining of an established geography, but the art and details is just amazing.

cheers,
    Meshon
    Thank you! To be honest, figuring out what I could reasonably place where and how I could make sense of it for the reimagined setting was the bulk of the work. I went through a couple of concepts until I finally got to this one. Had it not been for my original rig being woefully underpowered for the task I could have finished this a lot earlier. But as I mentioned in my reply to Sarithus, I could literally do the household chores between scrolling in and out.

I think I actually liked better the direction you took in the last post of the WIP thread, but excellent map for an original idea. The work on the the space zones (stars, suns and belts mainly) is very well done. I'm not convinced by the planet labels (and the white outlining), finding them often hard to read.

This is beautiful! The color is awesome! Very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I think I actually liked better the direction you took in the last post of the WIP thread, but excellent map for an original idea. The work on the the space zones (stars, suns and belts mainly) is very well done. I'm not convinced by the planet labels (and the white outlining), finding them often hard to read.
    Fair point. I suppose they would be easier to read if I used a simple white rather than the framed font. In my defense I have to point out, however, that the file you see is only a 45% zoomed version of the file I worked on. Uploading that one would have been... excessive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    This is beautiful! The color is awesome! Very well done!
    Thank you.

Really cool stuff Wired. I agree with Ilanthar that some text is quite hard to read. The colored text is much clearer than the dark text with with stroke. For readability you get a lot more out of the blue or pink. The text by the shields I couldn't really read. That would be my only thing though. The whole of it is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Really cool stuff Wired. I agree with Ilanthar that some text is quite hard to read. The colored text is much clearer than the dark text with with stroke. For readability you get a lot more out of the blue or pink. The text by the shields I couldn't really read. That would be my only thing though. The whole of it is gorgeous.
    Thank you. And I doubt it's actually physically possible to read the text over the shields at this resolution. I mean, I have pretty good eyes and I know what's written there and I still can't really decipher it! Again, the file simply would be too large to upload, especially with my rather suboptimal web connection. But if you guys want I can try to upload some sections of the map in its full resolution.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast