Thread: Mountain Test in Gimp

Post Mountain Test in Gimp

Hi Guys, what do you think of this mountain texture in Gimp?

I'm just playing about with this stuff, and did this more or less by accident. It's a first attempt at getting some mountains and I used a simple technique of maximum machinery / minimum artistry as, unfortunately, I need to do.

I got a cloud layer, colour-selected some of the lighter shades with a reasonable threshold and pasted this as a new layer. I colourised the lower layer to a green hue, and the upper layer to a brown hue, using brightness and contrast to make the peaks as white as I could.

Then I Embossed/bumpmapped both layers and used a jittered smudge to run around the brown/green join lines.

That's about it.

Shoulda used it in the Wild challenge!

Must learn how to make tileable textures. I'd add it to my to do list, but I've reached the end of the roll...

I also noticed, by accident, that the upper layer, placed on a white layer, gives a reasonable approximation of rocks protruding through snow. I'll have to explore that further, cos rocks and snow are already on my list, but seemed to be beyond my ability.

Anyway, I'm motormouthing again, C n C please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gimp Mountains.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	18216  
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You might be on to something here. My first mountain experiments looked like this (in PS). So it would be great to get something similar for Gimp.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Other than the brown looking more orange-y to me (fitting for today), I definitely think your on to something.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Maybe my perspective is messed up, but the white areas seem sunken to me and the green areas seem to have the high altitude.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Yeah, I noticed that one time, too. It's like one of those optical illusions with stairs or blocks - look at it again and you'll see it the right way round. I suppose it would be less ambiguous in a map.

Thanks for the feedback, guys, I'll play some more when I get time.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.