Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: readable text on the maps ?

Question readable text on the maps ?

I think my texts are unreadable, when I insert them with CC3. This is probably due to the vectorization of fonts.
    But when I insert text with GIMP, I can't put the text in italic, bold, underline, and I can't make shadow effects, glow, etc ...
    So here's my question: how do you apply effects on texts in Gimp or Photoshop ?
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

In photoshop the text is on its own layer so you can apply any layer effects you want. Haven't used GIMP in a long time so can't answer that.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I do all my labelling in vector. It saves a ton of time and layers.
    Ditto. I have switched to Inkscape to do the labels for my Gimp maps.

-Rob A>

Steel General : last night, I tried to insert text on this map with GIMP.
    I spent a lot of time and ultimately, I have 3 layers by city name, plus one for the button. It's too much for me :-)
    This is really not practical because I can't apply the same effect or even change the color on all texts at the same time (besides, is this possible?)
    But it is true that the text is more readable.

Ravells, RobA : I did some quick tests with Inkscape, but for now, I could not do anything with it. I'll read the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terra incognita 4 parchemin texte GIMP.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	984.3 KB 
ID:	18244  
    Noon

The texts in CC3 are indeed less readable as they are created as vectors and there's no antialiasing. I labelled almost all my maps outside of CC3 because of this. However, as it takes a lot of work I did the labelling of my last map in CC3 (it contained hundreds of labels!) and it turned out quite all right.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Gandwarf thank you, your response reassures me about CC3.
    For Inkscape, I understood my mistake : I must begin by converting the text in path ^_^
    Now, Inkscape is my friend :-D
    Noon

Blog Entries

Since Gandwarf knows about CC3 then I would say then that its not that they are vectorized thats the issue it would be the lack of anti aliasing. You can get a form of anti aliasing called super sampling if you made the map a lot bigger than you need and then slightly blur it and then cut the size down.

You can read more about this in my tut:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2596

but what I am getting at is that you can stay with CC3 if you do it this way and get readable fonts with it all assuming CC3 allows such a big map.

Due to the lack of anti-aliasing in CC2 Pro, I began using Fireworks for text labeling as post-work. With the sheet effects in CC3, I get much better results with text than I did with CC2 Pro that I rarely go to Fireworks anymore, even though there is still a lack of anti-aliasing.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

FYI: The new Patch 8 (also called Update 8 ) from Profantasy for CC3 now adds anti-aliasing functionality to bitmap exports (BMP, PNG, JPG) from the program. More here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7968
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast