Thread: First world

Post First world

Hi All,

This is my first REAL post I live in New Zealand and have been a long time dreamer of creating my own world. I'm not an artist by any stretch so this will be a new experience for me.

As with many people on these forums, I'm hoping to create a complete earthlike world (what I would call soft fantasy not high fantasy...probably not the right words...).
    Currently I have all these ideas floating around in my head and I need to get them on paper before I forget

Anywho, while I work through a few things on the software forum, I thought i'd post what little I have so far to get some input from the obvious talent on this forum.

Attached are 2 possible 'worlds' which I would be happy with. Your thoughts? Which one is most realistic from a tectonics point of view?

Overall size I guess would be about that of Australia (New Zealands west island ) but i'f your first impression is that of a larger world please let me know! I am bad at picturing scale!

This was left deliberately vague, please ask questions! I don't know where to start!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world2.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	18228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fractal -Entire Map.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	903.0 KB 
ID:	18229  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think you forgot to attach the images
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah hehe should be up now Thats a good start!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The one on the right looks Australia-ish in scale. The one on the left looks bigger, more like South America turned sideways. My 2 cents.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the feedback, 2 cents' all add up

Personally I like a little more ocean. I think they're both quite nice but they seem 'small' (Madagascar, perhaps Australia) because the water passages are fairly uniform.

Just a gut feeling.

The left one definitely feels bigger. Perhaps because of the ocean in the upper right, perhaps because the height, width ratio are about what I expect for a world map.

S

Welcome to the guild

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Hmmmm thanks Sigurd, I will play around with more ocean I have another map which is 70% ocean and it does tend to look more expansive.

Taking Sigurds advise, I think I have a world map which I am happy with

I will have a play around with Pasis' and ascension's tutorials to see which results I like better at the world scale Will post a WIP thread once I begin.

Attached file is a climate map. To put this in scale, in my mind the continent half way up the right hand side should be about 2/3 the size of aussieland. Does this sound about right?

The full res file is 16000pixels wide so I think ill do each continent separately

Looking forward to getting started!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	18268