Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** November 2009 Challenge - The Destroyed Lands ***

Post *** November 2009 Challenge - The Destroyed Lands ***

This month's challenge is the "The Destroyed Lands" map suggested by Gamerprinter

The goal is to map a place that was forever changed by a series of cataclysmic events. The impact op the cataclysm should be clearly visible, maybe even altering the terrain. It's up to you to decide if there's any survivors and what kind of life they now lead. Just remember, the more mayhem, the merrier.

Some examples of possible maps:

- A planet scorched by the sun.
    - A city overrun by demons from a portal.
    - A regional map depicting a huge crater left by a comet (or a moon?).
    - A world wrecked by a godly war.
    - The United States after the Zombie apocalypse.
    - Lands confronted by a new ice age.
    - Nuclear Armageddon.
    - Nature fighting back!
    - The human colonies after aliens blasted them all to smithereens.
    - A dungeon after Gromet and party visited it (certainly a cataclysm for the dungeon master )

The challenge will end around the 25th of november.

Please title your entry with the name of your map. For example: November Entry - The Day The Earth Stood Still
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 11-01-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Post Wrong month!

Shouldn't this be the November 2009 Challenge?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Ehh... yes, it is?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post

- A dungeon after Gromet and party visited it (certainly a cataclysm for the dungeon master )
    Ack! Now you've given me no choice!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Combine two themes! Disaster and Thanksgiving! A town destroyed by a mass escape of rabid turkeys from the poultry processing plant at the edge of town!

The United States during the next ice age caused by being overrun by godlike zombie turkeys?
    Too far?
    Last edited by waldronate; 11-02-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I've always been a fan of the "No kill like an overkill" approach

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

The Dungeoneer's Handbook, Volume IX, Chapter 12: "Paranoid dungeon owners are known to hide loot in their furniture. Tabletops, for example, may be laminated wood that hide treasure maps. Similarly, table legs may be hollow to hide wands or scroll cases. For these reasons we recommend that all furniture be dismantled and each piece broken to ensure that no items of importance will be missed."

The next time your party comes across a room that looks like it was visited by a family of hyperactive beavers that brought along some rabid wolverines for cleanup then you'll know that the adventurers were merely being "thorough" like they learned in school.

That's a great quote. Last time I played in a longish campaign my fellow party members used to roll up the carpets and scrape off the gold leaf any time we dispatched the bad guy that owned the stuff. No treasure chest? No problem: This flooring is nice, gotta be worth something. Hey! Is that Travertine?

Good to see the map doesn't have to be regional scale. I was thinking of something that shows the effects on a more personal scale.
    M

Blog Entries

This flooring is nice, gotta be worth something. Hey! Is that Travertine?
    Spoken like a man who has never done battle with ancient thinset.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Combine two themes! Disaster and Thanksgiving! A town destroyed by a mass escape of rabid turkeys from the poultry processing plant at the edge of town!

The United States during the next ice age caused by being overrun by godlike zombie turkeys?
    Too far?

I love it! Once a year the chief Turkey could pick one lucky politician who doesn't get eaten!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast