Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A WIP! Dragon's Lair

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post A WIP! Dragon's Lair

Hi all,

Well here's a WIP that I'm moving through. A set of caves with a sacrificial area up front. Thoughts/comments? It's going to be a dragon's cave where it receives sacrifices from a humanoid tribe.

The twist that is that this is back in gimp and all done with a mouse (well, a tablet with all sensitivity turned off).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DragonLair3.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	18274

I like the "antique" feeling you're getting there. It's a little hard to read what's going on with elevation: are those steps in the front? Is the a drop-off going from the "paved" area into the cavern? etc. [edit]I'm assuming the answers to these are yes[/edit]

Looking pretty good, though. Is this a commissioned thing or just for fun?
    M

Two of those turns are rather sharp, even for a sinewy reptile which tends to be quite long in its adult form. If I were a dragon, I would want a larger sacrificial chamber for maneuverability, just in case those human servitors decide to be obnoxious or rude.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the overall 'grungy look', but depending on the scale I think the dragon would have a tough time traversing the corridors - unless it shifts shape or is an extremely sinuous type (like a gold and/or oriental style dragon.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It's a young red - so it's only large. Now I wanted there to be a couple of passageways that it couldn't fit down - it gives the players a different route the can take, a possible location to take 5 minutes out and also one of those nice scenes where they think they are safe because the dragon can't get them, they see it's mouth at the entrance but it can't get in. They're safe! And then it takes a deep breath....

Equally it's pretty scale invariant - so you could bump the squares up to 10' squares and run it with a huge dragon or larger.

As for the elevation, thanks for the note. The central cavern is lower. I'll probably darken it further. There'll also be added clues - such as a rope bridge across to the sacrificial plinth.

This isn't a commission - it's going to be a 'how to' tutorial map for the NewbieDM blog. I'll cross-post the tutorial over here when it's done.

Oh, and a new version with some snow and ice outside the front door.

Name:	DragonLair4.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	18278

The next stage of the WIP:

Name:	Screen shot 2009-11-05 at 10.33.17 PM.png 
Views:	271 
Size:	725.1 KB 
ID:	18377

Final stage will be to add labels a compass and interior set dressing.

Thoughts?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Something about the lava seems kinda blobby but I'm at a loss as to how to fix that. It doesn't seem to be sitting in anything but rather it seems to be sitting on the land. I'm not sure if a stroke would create a ledge effect or make it worse. Not sure if darker reds would push it down or make it more like blood. I'm at a loss to come up with anything other than "it needs some sort of ledge effect". Maybe taking the lava all the way to the edges of the existing ledges...might be overkill, though. Love the browns, though
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yep, it's an odd one. The lava is on the ground level - flush with the stone floor that butts up to it, but below the ledges and elevated regions. Also, it's one of the major lightsources so I can't darken it down too much.

I'll play with it and see what I get - but at least it's clearly lava.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I did a rough n quick idea of what I'm trying to get at. Similar to what you have around the elevated areas...slopes. I lightened it only to see my lines, not as a suggestion
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	439.8 KB 
ID:	18378  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I see what you mean.

I want the lava to be at the same level as the floor so I don't want to put the edge lines you have between the two. As for the walls, I can see that might help a bit. Is the issue your having that you don't feel that the lava on the vace floor is lower than the central pillar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast