Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Test for my own style

Guild Apprentice

Wip

So, first part is done but it was quite an effort to recreate the sea. This may be because I used 3 textures, cloud noise and a bump map .

It looks a bit blurry and busy now but I think is impression will change when the land is added.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	testlands2.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	18608  

Guild Apprentice

Wip

I found out, that my favorite grass texture is not seamless, so I had to smear the borders a bit. I hope this won't be too evident in the final result.

Name:	testlands2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	532.9 KB 
ID:	18667  

Yeah, i normally have problems with seamless textures but yours look fine. When you've added everything else that you are going to add, particulary if you place stuff over the places where you think the texture looks a little off, than it should hardly be noticeable.

Good work.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Apprentice

Wip

OK, I'm hijacking my own thread now.

I added steppe, swamp and dirt. Steppe and swamp are new, I didn't have them on the Practice Peninsula. And the dirt I did differently, it looks more rocky now.

The next step would be (apart from the forest) the most difficult part for me on the map: Mountains. I always do them befor the hills and foothills which I then place below.

Views:	41 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	18669  

Guild Apprentice

Wip

I'm already here again.

Finished the mountains and most of them look good. The process for the mountain creation has a random part so one or two look a bit strange. But Overall it's OK I think.

Next will be hills and Foothills.

Size:	3.58 MB 
ID:	18671  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is beginning to shape up quite nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Wip

Thanks for the encouragement, General!

The hills and foothills are done now, so the mountains don't pop so suddenly out of the plain anymore.

I still don't like this one mountain in the northers slope...but yould could explain it like this in a campaign: Some old powerful wizard threw down a demon the mountainside...

Next are forests - *gulp*.
    I hope I get them sharper this time.

Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	18723  

I'm liking what i see, just one thing though, some of the mountain seems a bit too straight, maybe you should break them up a little. But that's all up to you.

Nice.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Looking good.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Apprentice

Wip

I agree about the mountains, they are too straight and edgy. This is because I'm using RobA's great mountain tutorial, which is very good for single mountains, but when you do a whole mountain range it will look to angular because of the gradient fill which is used in the process.
    So I modified the process a bit, put a displacement map on the gradient fill and used also difference clouds. Now it looks more natural I think.

I also added forest and I like the result. It looks much better than in the Practice Peninsula map.

Views:	53 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	18755  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast