Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Test for my own style

Guild Apprentice

So, finally map border including title, scale bar and compass added. I'm very pleased with the result now.

And I increased the opacity of the land lables, they are better readable now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	testlands2.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	19002  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Still not a big fan of the red-colored labels for the countries, but that's just a bit of a pet peeve for me.

Nice work overall.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good, I can at least read the orange letters. I'm with SG on that color, though. Maybe if you had a black stroke around them or used a color other than orange for the outer glow they might look better. Terrain-wise I'd say it looks done and I like your towns...I do mine sorta like that so I'm biased.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

The reason want to keep the orange colour and the orange glow around these labels is: I want them to match the borders and the glow around them.
    I put a black stroke around the labels and gave them a slight drop shadow. They are much more prominent now that I planned them to be, but you are correct, they have at least to be readable.

I hereby declare this map finished. Thank you very much for all your help! In my opinion this is the nicest looking map I ever created, I never dreamt of coming so far. I will create for it a thread in the finished maps section
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Khor_Serran.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	19060  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Overall, looks good. For the colorblind (I am not) the orange-on-green is not a very good choice (b/c of the conflation of red and green, red being a major component of orange). Even for me they were difficult to read.

Confounding it, orange-on-orange is just a bad idea for legibility alltogether, so orange on orange-glow-on-green is a double-whammy for legibility. Even with the drop-shadows I (not color-blind) have a bit of trouble reading the label for "Caremmon".

I'd say it's clear from context that those labels now colored orange are representative of the regions within the orange-glowing borders, so maintaining the consistency of orange-and-orange is non-essential for preserving the informational aspect of the map.

Other than that issue, this map is a rousing success, I would say.
    Last edited by Karro; 11-30-2009 at 11:17 AM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345