Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: November 2009 Entry - Qonworld

Guild Journeyer

Indeed a beautiful piece of art.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Thanks guys. And jfrazierjr you're absolutely right about the too small town. guess that whats happening if you spend to much time zooming around so thanks for the pointer. Also the shade only on the zeppelin was odd indeed. Hmm, ok one more version
    ###Latest WIP###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qonworld_final2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	18784  

My only additional comment is that the cloud-like texture of the water seems to go against the iso perspective -- it looks very top-down. I'd suggest generating the same texture in a rectangle perhaps twice the height of the map, but then flatten it down to the map dimensions so it has that iso look.

But really,...quite nice. Unique style.
    "Baby you can drive my car-tography, and maybe I'll love you."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good eye DiceMan, I never noticed it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Very, very nice. I said it before, but this style has a great fairy tale feel to it. I would expect to find a map like this in a children's fantasy book for example (especially with the humor that you worked into the labels). You can be really proud of it!

Would love to have a nice apartment in World's End
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

thanks for the compliments! and a sharp eye indeed DiceMan. For the water I used a double texture (one standard water texture and another one with rendered cloud texture) with only the rendered cloud texture in perspective and thought it to be sufficient. Indeed when I look again now it could be much better.... well, since the dead-line didn't hit yet one more 'final' version. Oh and Gandwarf, there should be enough empty houses in World's End since the cataclysm, I'll try to get a number of one of the real estate agents there

###Latest WIP###

Name:	Qonworld_final3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	18839  

Blog Entries

Djekspek,

Everything in the picture has a soft, roundy, slightly blurry look, which I think adds to the magic, except the title and border. That I don't have a problem with. But the airships, although round, are sharp. The distraction is slight, but I think the overall work would be improved if you could soften them a bit.

Saw i missed some shades (probs many more little flaws).. also smudged the zeppelins and the border a bit to make the style more consistent as immolate suggested (thanks . normally I think I would reduce resolution a bit as well to 'hide the many small flaws' but for this post I'll keep the full resolution.

### Winner ###

Name:	Qonworld_final4.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	18874  
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-26-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Make sure to add a WIP tag to it so the correct version will show up in the thumbs.

-IG

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234