Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo

Blog Entries

Post NaNoWriMo

I was just wondering if any of the many would-be-writers were considering doing NaNoWriMo this year? Or maybe have done it previous years?

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

For anyone who doesn't know, NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is a sorta competition/incentive to write a novel (or part of a novel) in one month. You have all November to write 50,000 words. If you pass that milestone then you can consider yourself a "winner." There are no prizes other than the satisfaction you will have for having accomplised the feat.
    Anyone can enter.

I've decided that this year I'm going to have a bash at it. I've registered and I have a plotline from a story I once started to write and then gave up on, despite it being the most fully realised plot I had ever come up with (normally I get a beginning and an end and struggle with the middle but this story came with it all).
    I'm hoping that the contest will hit me over the head with the fact that I don't need to constantly go back and rewrite/edit what I have already done and that getting it all down on paper and THEN going back can be a useful way to do things.

So... anyone else already signed up? Or going to?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

One of the guys in my writers group has set himself to finishing his novel in like the next 6 weeks or so. I pointed him at Nanowrimo for tips (not sure whether he looked at all, or if it was helpful).

Personally, I don't think the length of time it takes to complete a novel is the most important thing. Sure, you need to work in a timely fashion ... but a month seems short to me (unless you're able to devote full time to it).

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Being as I'm still in school and working full time, I'm sadly too busy this year to really give this a shot, yet. I haven't done it yet (though... I can't say what, really, may have stopped me in previous years). Next year I'll be knee-deep in a "career-planning" frenzy (the inevitable conclusion of the MBA experience) during November, so it's unlikely then as well.

So... I'll just have to commit, now, to taking part in the 2011 Nanowrimo... Maybe by then I'll be ready for it, too...
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I tried the NaNoWriMo challenge last year and failed because I got sick and had to spend my time afterward catching up on things which were more important. I'll try again this year, but haven't decided what to write yet.

Oh btw ... please let me not neglect to say ... Good Luck, Ramah! GO! GO! GO!

I won NaNoWriMo last year, but I'm not in the right place with my other writing projects this year, and next year my boyfriend will be preparing for deployment, so I'll be spending time with him instead of doing NaNoWriMo. Perhaps in 2011.

The trick to winning NaNoWriMo is doing your 1,666.66 words a day. If you get even a couple days behind, it becomes a huge challenge to catch up.
    Oysgeyn vel ikh muzn vi a hunt.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I'm registered. I failed last year, but I'm ready to give it another shot this year. I've been working on an outline for the past couple weeks or so.

@ töff: I think it's much more valuable for the simple "I'm going to write and not agonize" mindset than it is for actually trying to write a novel in a specific timeframe. After agonizing myself into writer's block for the last year, I'm ready to write something at warp speed that I'll never sell, just to allow myself to write something.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    @ töff: I think it's much more valuable for the simple "I'm going to write and not agonize" mindset than it is for actually trying to write a novel in a specific timeframe. After agonizing myself into writer's block for the last year, I'm ready to write something at warp speed that I'll never sell, just to allow myself to write something.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I think I will give it a go this year. Maybe all us cartographic writers can post encouragement or updates on a thread somewhere. (this thread?)

I am shooting for a fantasy novel aimed at children ages 11-13 -- writing the sort of book I would enjoy at that time - like the Prydain Chronicles of Lloyd Alexander.

It will be set in the world I am currently mapping and set about 30 years before the time of the game my players are currently in. It will be the first of a series that will track the progress of a supporting character from childhood to adulthood.

So when I finally get my adult novels ready, this series will have built up to it.

I don't know how much to spoil about the book just yet, but it involves a half breed outcast who strives for heroics and acceptance.

Woot! Wish me luck, and good luck to all the other writers who are taking the challenge!

phil

I have registered!

Anyone can buddy me if they wish. My name is philipstephen at the NaNoWriMo website.

Would you be the Ramah Palmer from England, Ramah? I see no other Ramah's out there.

I am stoked!

Let's get this book done!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast