Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: November Entry - Atlantis City after the Athenaic Little Counterstrike

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Map November Entry - Atlantis City after the Athenaic Little Counterstrike

Well, I thought the November challenge would be a good opportunity to do a city map - my first attempt to create such a map. I hope I don't overdo myself with this.

I used the description of Platon to create the city center of Atlantis. The innermost circle has a width of 1 kilometer.

So far I have the basic shape, the inner city walls and the main streets. First I will complete the city for a 'before' picture and then I'll add the destruction caused by the Athenaic lighting weapons (provided by Zeus of course )

If you think I made a spelling error in the title (Athenaic instead of Athenian), no, it's intention. I wanted to create a distinction between the ancient Athens of Platon and the historic Athens. According to Platon there had existed an earlier Athens that was destroyed during the downfall of Atlantis.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlantis WIP.jpg 
Views:	788 
Size:	829.9 KB 
ID:	18325  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

An interesting (and very ambitious) idea here Sapiento. Looking forward to seeing it develop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I added some life to the town.

Comments? What should be improved?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Atlantis WIP.jpg 
Views:	1826 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	18326  

Thats awesome! love the buildings esp. in the outer rings. can't really tell what should be improved as it looks so great. Maybe people who build a perfect rounded city like this are capable of building some large brides between the rings but i didnt read the Platon description

Thanks Djekspek. I used the description and a iconic map from Wikipedia as a template for this map and there weren't any bridges. The only connection between the different districts of the inner town is by the channel. I think this can be described as some form of protection. According to Platon the Atlantian capital fleet alone numbered 1200 ships with 240.000 men of crew!
    But the old Greeks tended to exaggerate nearly everything

Guild Journeyer

Man that's an awesome lookin' map you got goin' there.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I've got to know how you did those buildings. Fantastic at this scale!!
    Thanks ravells!
    I found a rather simple solution for the buildings. I created a brush (see a similar one below pic 2) using some map brushes by - I believe - Ascension.
    Then I tweaked the jitter functions in the brush window - size, angle? (I have to guess the correct names as I use the German version), set the distance at 110 %.
    Then I selected the streets and created a working path out of the selection. On a new 'Buildings' layer 'Stroke path' with a small hard edged brush, 3 - 5 px. This gives us outer walls for the small parcels of land between the roads. Then delete the path.
    Then I selected the streets and the water - everything where I don' want buildings - invert, and on the 'Buildings' layer painted in the buildings with the new brush like in pic 1. The gaps I filled with single different brushes.

Name:	Brush exampel2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	18332  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Man. I might as well give up now! You guys are turning in some good stuff so far. This is looking great already, Sapiento!
    M

Thanks, mearrin - and no reason to give up . In the final map this picture will be reduced to a fourth or even less of its present size and put in a corner as the 'before' version compared to the completely devastated sight of the city after the attack.
    I'm thinking of posting this as a stand-alone finished map as I'm quite satisfied with this shiny version. I hope this doesn't violate the challenge rules in some way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast