Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regional map - Developing styles and techniques

Guild Journeyer

Wip Regional map - Developing styles and techniques

As I mentioned in other post I am in the process of re-designing my whole campaign setting and thus I am working all my maps from the beginning, trying to have a consistent scale and style that will help me develop the world in a more solid way (and vice versa).

I am trying to develop my style and techniques, largely based on Pasi's excellent tutorial and the beautiful maps by Tear.

I am attaching a map that has a scale of 1px=0.5mi zoomed @50%. I am also including 100% zoom images of several details.

I am quite happy with the terrain. The dark green "belt" is supposed to be a deep valley created by a historic event long time ago. Also the coasts, are supposed to be cliffy and jagged, etc.

Do these elements show up in my map? What seems out of place? The river and the lakes are there for style testing purposes only, although the river will be something like this. I would also like to hear your comments on the coast. The west side is supposed to be a fjord-like area, largely formulated during the event described above.

Any comments and critiques are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stylestudy.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	714.1 KB 
ID:	18338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lvrc.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	600.1 KB 
ID:	18339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vc.jpg 
Views:	901 
Size:	567.9 KB 
ID:	18340  

looking very nice. I think the dark coastline does not fit really wit the more smoother terrain/rivers but maybe you planned to work on that. As for the Fjords am no expert on this but I'd add some islands (maybe get inspired by google earth norwegian coast...)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like this so far...

Is that supposed to be a delta at the end of the large river that flows thru the valley? If not, then you have some river violations as they generally do not split in such a way.

I also think the black 'stroke' on the coast doesn't work well - maybe try a shade od brown/tan that more closely matches your land mass.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

So, after struggling with a lot of textures, techniques, layer settings, filters and experimenting with different combinations of all the above, I present you...what I consider to be a pleasing result!

I am not sure I am happy with the mountains yet, but my eyes are really burnt out after all these tests. So, I expect some feedback guys!

Also, I have included some text notes of what each area tries to represent to tell me if I got it.

One thing that bugs me is the scale. This supposed to be 1px=0.5 and I know some of the mountains might seem very large. Well, in the north I think it's ok, since its supposed to be a large, steep, practically impassable mountain range that tears the continent in two. I don't know about the rest...

Anyway, this by no means done, it needs a lot of work and still some experiments with forests!!!

But, I can't really see anything after so many hours so the choice is yours!

PS: the map is uploaded at full size.

Name:	clermourn_regional_map.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	18388  

I like the overall look of the mountains but I think they need more 'spurs' or 'arms' or whatever you call them.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm really enjoying the results. I like the way everything blends together, though I still think the coastline doesn't quite match.

Guild Journeyer

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I am posting an update. I've worked the mountain shape, though it seems it needs a little bit more work. I've also came up with a forest style that I think matches the mountains. Finally, I worked on the sea texture and the coastline, but I think I still miss it...

The lakes are more and modeled after real-world areas. The valley is a sink for a lot of water so I felt it was natural to be filled with lakes. The rivers need some work, so I hide them for now.

So, check it out, I think I am more or less there...

PS: I am going to work on islands and stuff...it seems kind of empty and I think I have a good background that helps me incorporate an intricate island chain.

Name:	clermourn_regional_map_update.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	18402  

This is coming along quite nicely, the forests look good so far.

This is coming very well. I like most of the textures, and the forests look good. The one thing that I am not too sure of is the texture for the mountains. It looks a little bit dark to me unless you are going for an ash/volcanic rock mountain range.

It's not finished, but I think it's already very successful.
    I love the forests.
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast