Thread: Regional map - Developing styles and techniques

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Wip Regional map - Developing styles and techniques

As I mentioned in other post I am in the process of re-designing my whole campaign setting and thus I am working all my maps from the beginning, trying to have a consistent scale and style that will help me develop the world in a more solid way (and vice versa).

I am trying to develop my style and techniques, largely based on Pasi's excellent tutorial and the beautiful maps by Tear.

I am attaching a map that has a scale of 1px=0.5mi zoomed @50%. I am also including 100% zoom images of several details.

I am quite happy with the terrain. The dark green "belt" is supposed to be a deep valley created by a historic event long time ago. Also the coasts, are supposed to be cliffy and jagged, etc.

Do these elements show up in my map? What seems out of place? The river and the lakes are there for style testing purposes only, although the river will be something like this. I would also like to hear your comments on the coast. The west side is supposed to be a fjord-like area, largely formulated during the event described above.

Any comments and critiques are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stylestudy.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	714.1 KB 
ID:	18338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lvrc.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	600.1 KB 
ID:	18339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vc.jpg 
Views:	902 
Size:	567.9 KB 
ID:	18340